Part 7

Diane's conversation with Dr. Bailey sticks with her for a long time. She had really hoped that the educated woman would tell her that true mates didn't exist. That Chuck and Negan are only drawn together in a normal attraction kind of way.

But the doctor didn't say that. She kept the true mates possibility open. And if Chuck and Negan really are true mates, then they'll end up together no matter what Diane tries to do.

Wanting to get a little perspective on the subject, Diane knocks on her brother's door and waits for him to answer.

The door opens and Aaron immediately steps aside to let Diane in. "So what's going on?"

She had called him earlier to ask if she could stop by to talk, but she didn't specify why. "I just want to talk," she reiterates and moves through the open floor plan to the sitting area. She sits down on the large sectional couch in front of the fireplace and lets out a heavy breath.

Aaron goes into the kitchen instead of following her. "You want coffee?" he calls out, already intending to make himself one of his Starbucks mocha latte k cups.

"Yeah." Instead of waiting for him to finish and come to her, she gets up and sits at the island. "What do you think about true mates?" she asks to his back as he waits for the coffee to brew.

He turns his head to look at her over his shoulder. "Are you gonna make fun of me like when we were kids for believing in them?" he jokes.

"No. I'm serious."

He picks up the first cup and sets it in front of Diane before turning back to make himself one. "Are you asking because of Chuck and Negan?"

"Yeah."

"Do you believe in true mates?"

"I don't know." She sighs and rubs her hand down her face. "I've gone back and forth." She gestures from one side to the other as she says, "'True mates don't exist. Yes they do.'" She lets out a huff. "I went to talk to Chuck's omega doctor the other day about it."

Aaron turns around with his own coffee and leans on the counter to face his sister. "What did they say?"

"She didn't laugh me out of her office like I thought she would. She actually seemed to think true mates could happen."

He takes a sip. "I've always believed. It always just seemed beautiful to me. Being fated to be with someone."

"Well, It doesn't seem beautiful for my daughter to be inexplicably linked to a womanizing alpha that's old enough to be her father."

"Yeah. Negan's not exactly a knight in shining armor, is he?"

"I guess he had a mate, though. Chuck told me that. She died years ago."

Aaron nods a little. "I wonder if the womanizing happened after he lost his omega. Like it changed him."

"I don't know. Maybe."

"Did you tell Chuck you think Negan is her alpha?"

"Hell no!" Diane exclaims. "She doesn't need any more reason to want to be with him."

"Isn't it a good thing if they're true mates, though? Won't that mean he'll take care of her?"

"I don't know. You know how alphas get possessive under normal circumstances. What if this makes him crazy possessive? And he won't let Chuck out of his sight. Or gets violently jealous?"

"That's not gonna happen. 'Cause we're not gonna let it."

"What if we can't do anything about it, Aaron? What if he takes her from us?"