Part 9

"I know," Negan whispers as he continues to hold the Langdon women in his arms. "It's gonna be okay," he reassures them.

Diane pulls away first and looks up to Negan as he places his lips softly to the top of Chuck's head. She didn't exactly expect to accept comfort from Negan, but she has to admit to herself that it did make her feel better. And he seems to be keeping Chuck relatively calm. She's still upset, but she isn't breaking down like Diane had expected her to. She feared that Chuck's panic attacks would come back after this.

Negan turns his head to look at Diane for a moment, then turns back to Chuck. "Why don't you guys go inside."

Chuck looks up, eyes red and puffy and cheeks tear stained. "Okay," she chokes out.

Negan gently nudges Chuck towards Diane. "I'm gotta get dressed, though. I'll be over in a fuckin' minute."

As he turns to go to his apartment, Chuck has the sudden urge to tell him not to go. But she ignores it and allows Diane to lead her into her own place.

Chuck starts to head for her room as Diane wearily sits on the couch. "I'm gonna take a shower."

"Okay, sweetie." Diane wipes her cheeks as she leans back in her seat and shuts her eyes to try to rest.

Diane had gotten the call from San Antonio police right as she walked into the hospital to start her shift. And the couple hours or so after that are all a blur. She ran through the hospital to get the okay to leave, which was granted easily. At some point, she bought a couple of plane tickets to fly out to Texas. And then, of course, there was the drive from Fredericksburg to Charlottesville. All of it left Diane feeling exhausted despite the fact that it is still early in the day.

Just a few minutes later, Negan walks through the door carrying two cups of coffee. "I thought you could use this." He holds one out to Diane.

"Thanks." She takes it as he moves to sit on the other end of the couch.

"I'm sorry about your brother," he says genuinely. Even though he's not exactly close with Diane, he still knows losing someone is hard.

"Eric is my brother-in-law," she corrects, then realizes what she said. "Was my brother-in-law." She shakes her head. "But we were all really close."

"It's shitty losing family."

She nods without turning to him.

"Just so you know," he starts a little hesitantly, "me and Chuck didn't fuckin' sleep together. I mean, she slept over, but we didn't fuck."

Diane turns her head to him, but doesn't say anything. She really hadn't processed the fact that Chuck had come out of Negan's apartment. And that they were both dressed in their sleep clothes.

"This is really a shitty time to bring this up, but Chuck's boss is a real piece of fuckin' work. I don't know if she told you what happened in the hall the other day with me-"

"She did," she interrupts, the memory of what Chuck had told her refreshing hard feelings for the man sitting next to her. Chuck hadn't had the chance to tell her that Negan was actually innocent of all that.

"It was all Eldritch's doing. He fuckin' orchestrated it by hacking into my phone. And I don't fuckin' trust that alpha knothead with her. That's why she was at my place."

Diane furrows her brow in confusion. "He set you up?"

"Yeah."

She isn't sure what to think about all that. But she doesn't get the chance because Chuck walks out of her room, now dressed and with damp hair hanging at her shoulders. Giving both of them a look, Chuck sits down on the open spot left on the couch, which is right between Diane and Negan.