Part 19

Almost a week later, Chuck goes into heat, which is somewhat of a relief to the couple. Not only does it mean that they won't have to worry about being surprised by it coming during the fast approaching wedding or honeymoon, but it also means that Chuck's cycle is finally getting regular. Now, they'll be able to anticipate with certainty when they will have to take time off to deal with their heat/rut, which is far more convenient than scrambling to get ready at the last minute.

Partway through her heat, they get into the new box of omega condoms that Negan had picked up from the pharmacy beforehand. Even though their raging hormones make their rational brains take a backseat to their instincts, using the condoms correctly is more like muscle memory to them at this point. They always make sure to have one in place before they let their bodies do what they want to do, with no incidents to date.

If their minds hadn't been foggy from their heat/rut, however, they would have noticed something was wrong. That realization doesn't materialize until they start to come out of their cycle, when their upstairs brains start to wake back up.

Negan's knot goes down enough to, once again, pull out and he lays down beside Chuck with a sigh. Their breaths are labored as the dwindling hormones in their systems make way for fatigue to set in.

"Shit, baby," Negan breathes out then whistles lowly. "Fuck."

Chuck giggles airily. "Yup," she agrees with a lazy smile on her face.

"You okay?"

She looks over to him, but doesn't answer. Instead, she lets out a chuckle.

"What?" he asks with his brows furrowed.

"Whenever you start to come back down from your rut, the first thing you do is ask if I'm alright."

He scoffs a bit, but pulls her into his side. "I guess I'm just worried that my alpha doesn't think about that shit. It always feels like he's got a fuckin' one track mind."

She laughs. "He does. But he wouldn't hurt me. I trust you no matter what. Even if your alpha is in control."

They stay cuddled up together for a few minutes, taking a much needed breather and basking in the touch of one another. The serenity of the moment is only broken by Chuck's empty stomach making itself known with a loud growl. Even though she can feel her heat waning, she knows she probably doesn't have too much time before a final round of cramps hits her.

Negan knows all this, too, being used to the routine by now. "Let me clean you up. Then I'll make you some actual fuckin' food. Instead of those protein bars we've been shoving in our faces between fuck sessions. I think we have the time."

Chuck turns over into her back to go through the practiced motion like she has a million times before, with Negan taking up his role. He kneels between her spread legs and ties off the omega condom to make sure all of the mess inside is properly contained. It's not until he fully pulls it out that he realizes that something's wrong.

"Shit," he gasps once he realizes that the familiar substance now dripping through his fingers means only one thing. The condom had failed at some point.

"What?" Chuck asks as she sits up to lean on her elbows.

Negan is shocked, wide eyed for a moment before he answers. "The goddamned thing ripped."

"What?!" She shoots forward to see what he's talking about. "What do you mean 'ripped'?"

He holds it out to her so she can see for herself. Sure enough, the one end has a very pronounced hole in it.

"Oh my god," she spits out. "Wh- Did- It's-" she stutters as her brain short circuits. "Did you put it in wrong?" she finally settles on.

"I don't fuckin' think so. I mean, I haven't put one in wrong before so I don't know why I fuckin' would now. And it's not like it slipped out. There's a fuckin' hole."