Part 4

Negan's not used to caring about another person's feelings. Not that he's a monster, or anything. He feels bad when he sees natural disasters or massacres on the tv, but he also says everything on his mind without thinking if someone would be hurt by it. He's always been an unapologetic asshole his whole life. So he's thrown for a loop when the sobs of the omega next door make a strong feeling of guilt bubble up in his chest. Strong enough that he can't fall asleep.

And this is the second time the girl has elicited this feeling.

When the tone on his phone starts to play, he sits up from his bed with a groan, turning the alarm off quickly. Chuck had finally cried herself to sleep a few hours ago, but Negan still couldn't follow her, staying awake even after everything went quiet.

He gets ready for work and drinks a whole pot of coffee before he leaves his apartment. He has a fleeting thought that maybe he should check on the girl next door, but he dismisses it with a shake of his head and continues on his way.

His work doesn't provide much of a distraction throughout the day. It is uncharacteristically slow, so Negan has nothing but time to ponder his whole situation. He finds himself typing 'omega' into google, thinking maybe the internet will provide some answers to the questions he won't admit he wants to ask. It doesn't really help, though, the only pages that come up are porn sites and message boards for omegas to talk to one another.

Negan lets out a huff and rubs his hand down his jaw. He goes back to the top of the page and types in 'beta to omega' in the search bar. The girl next door hadn't answered him when he asked outright about her surprise presentation and despite Negan not wanting to admit that he's been so affected by her, he still really wants to know about her. That search is fruitless, too, though. It mainly brings up fictional books and romantic stories about betas changing their presentation.

He finally gets to the point and types in '25 year old presents omega'. The first three pages mention Holden-Sawyer Syndrome so he searches that instead. He spends about an hour reading all about the affliction. The more he reads about it, the more he sees how it fits with Chuck. The way she started fighting with him after years of never making a peep could be explained by mood swings, which are common before presentation. Also the way her body changed. Negan thinks she must've changed in the last few months considering he had never really noticed her before. If she always had those curves, there's no way he wouldn't have noticed.

And, of course, the time she was "sick" for a week. That must've been her presentation heat. The website says that heats are dangerous for omegas that have have this syndrome. They can't take suppressants, either, so their only options are take a knot from an alpha or spend their heat in a hospital. When Negan starts to read about alphas for hire and how they can be used if an omega has no mate, he has a realization.

"Alpha whores," he mutters to himself.

Those alphas coming in and out was just Chuck trying to find which alpha whore she wants to use to get her through her heats. The thought initially makes Negan feel a little better. She wasn't picking up random alphas to fuck everyday. But then he realizes that she is going to fuck one of those alphas. At least. Not to mention that when she knew she would need an alpha, she didn't even consider him as an option. And that stung.

But why would she consider him? She was going through something major and he made it worse by being a dick. Why on earth would she want him when he was being such an asshole? Maybe if he were nicer to her...

When Negan gets home after work, he pauses before opening his door. Peeking over his shoulder at Chuck's door, he lets out a heavy breath, trying to rid himself of the unpleasant feeling pooling in his stomach. But it's no use. He spins around and knocks on the door before he talks himself out of it.