1.7

Hayley

Hayley was definitely surprised to see Michael there. She would never have guessed that the person ringing the door would be him.

"Wrong floor," she said, flashing him a smile. "You're looking for the one above."

The boy with purple hair didn't laugh at her joke. He kept a straight face, slightly tilting his head to the side. "Actually, I'm here to see you." His green eyes sparkled, and there was a little smile tugging at his mouth as he spoke.

"Me?"

"Just wanted to make sure you're alright," he said, leaning to one side. Hayley saw him look past her, possibly spotting the girl walking around in the living room. "Is this a bad time?"

"No, it's fine. You can come in."

Michael followed Hayley into the flat. "This is my best friend Macy. Macy, this is Michael."

"Hi." The blue-eyed girl froze when she saw Michael and was suddenly in a hurry, packing things into her overnight bag. "It's, um, nice to meet you," she mumbled, zipping it up.

"You too," he said, but didn't seem to mean it. His eyes were flying elsewhere, as if to avoid eye contact.

"Did you guys have a sleepover or something?"

"Yeah," Hayley said, trying to avoid the awkward silence that was approaching. Macy stayed silent, pretending to be busy rearranging things in her already packed bag.

Macy excused herself. "I should get going," she said, evidently feeling like a third wheel. "Call me later?" She knew what it really meant - that she'd have to fill her friend in on everything later. Not that there would be a lot to say. Picking her bag up and swinging it over her shoulder, she moved past Michael and out the door.

"Yeah, sure," Hayley replied, but the brown-haired girl was already gone. 

"Messy night, huh? You look rough." he said, and Hayley tried to straighten out her tangled hair. Usually, she wouldn't have cared to, but his comment made her feel the need to. Good thing she had at least changed out of her pyjamas.

Not that she was trying to be attractive around Michael, or anything. It didn't matter. He knew about her insecurities, and it was okay. Still, she prayed he wouldn't notice the darkness under her eyes.

"We set off the fire alarm and everyone had to go outside. It was so bad," she cringed. "I wasn't wearing a bra and then of course bumped into Calum outside. Standard night, really," she joked about her awkward moment. "I'm quite good at being awkward."

He had a way of attracting attention. Maybe it was the hair, or the way he laughed - there was something that drew people in. Hayley had found this when talking to him. He was a good listener and - positive or negative - he knew how to make people talk. She was blabbering.

"Not wearing a bra, nice," Michael laughed, raising an eyebrow. Of course, he'd pick up on that detail. He was still Michael. Then, he sighed, the light of his smile fading at the mention of Calum. "So, how are things with Calum?"

"He's ignored me for like a week. Last night he sent me a rude text and now things are weird. I don't think it's going too well," she said.

Was she trying to convince herself or Michael? At this point, Hayley didn't really know. Sure, her and Calum had made up, but she was still unsure whether he was only doing it to lose his v-card or if it was real.

"You know I was going to help him get laid," Michael said.

"Yeah," Hayley replied, wondering where he was going with it. It wasn't something she wanted to talk about.

"I'm not helping him anymore. Not after what you told me the other day," he spoke, playing with his fingers. "It kind opened my eyes to what I was doing before. I don't want to sleep around. I never did. It made me feel better about my insecurities because I felt like someone wanted me and needed me. But it was never for longer than a night, and it never made me happy."

Not sure what to say, Hayley decided to stay silent.

"I guess it was easy," he continued. "Easier than finding people who would actually give a damn."

"There are people who care about you," she said, "I care."

Hayley didn't even realise she'd been leaning in until their lips met. She understood him, and he understood her; they connected on a deeper level. It wasn't like kissing Calum. He was rugged and smelled faintly of cologne and mint. His stubble rasped against her skin.

Michael broke the kiss first. He looked at her, eyebrows crunched together. "No," he said, shaking his head. "I don't think–"

Hayley's eyes met his, only to travel down to his mouth the next second. She was confused.

"I'm sorry."

The front door went, causing Hayley to quickly pull away as if hit by an electric shock.

"What?"

"Hayley? I'm home!"

"Oh." Michael mumbled as he realised what was going on.

"Hayley are you in he-" Her mother appeared in the doorway. "Oh, hello?"

A pair of green, curious eyes met Hayley's as she tried to glance at him. Having been caught, she quickly looked away. She could hear him snicker softly at her side.

"Um," Hayley cringed. "Mum, this is Michael."

-

oops 

~lauren