3.4

Calum

Calum hated himself for being late, but he had been trying to pick up the pieces on their way to the ice cream place and succeeded. She'd even laughed at his lame jokes, taking a lot of his nervousness away.

He'd been wishing for their first date to be perfect, however, it seemed Calum had wished for too much. He wanted too much, and that's where it had gone all wrong. He was a try hard - a perfectionist. And this what was going to be his downfall. Instead of their date being perfect, he had gone and messed it all up.

Some kid tripped him on purpose and he'd accidentally fallen into Hayley, getting ice cream all over his shirt. Feeling the tears burn at his eyes, Calum excused himself to go get cleaned up.

In the bathroom, he cried to Luke on the phone, feeling weaker and whinier than ever. He'd been such a crybaby lately, and he knew Luke was probably going to make fun of him for it, but he didn't know who else to talk to.

"I messed it up."

"Where are you?" Luke asked, the sound of him crunching on something coming though.

"In the bathroom."

"In the bathroom? What the fuck?"

"I'm hiding."

"Why?"

"Because whatever I do I just embarrass myself even more. I can't do this."

"You can," There was a faint sound of someone else, and Luke's deep voice was heard one again, this time louder. "No, I'm not putting him on speaker phone."

"No, Luke," Calum sighed. "I can't."

There was silence, and then a sound of something rustling. Ashton had taken the phone from Luke. "Get your arse out of there, mate."

"I can't."

"Are you stuck?"

"No..?"

"So you can get out of there," Ashton laughed.

Calum sighed, hanging up. The two were probably making fun of him, which, he supposed, wasn't weird. He was crying in the bathroom whilst on a date with the prettiest girl he'd ever known. God, he was such a twat.

Looking himself in the mirror, he moved a strand of hair that had fallen out of place. His shirt was still wet and sticky from the melted ice cream, and he took some paper towels to wipe it off. It didn't really work. If anything it stained worse.

The door swung open suddenly, and to Calum's surprise Michael joined him at the taps. "Michael, what are you doing here?"

"I paid the child to trip you."

"Did you actually?"

"No, I wouldn't do that." The now red haired boy looked at him, not speaking at first. He scratched the back of his neck, as if he was trying to find a way to word himself, and then spoke. "But Hayley was freaking out. So I guess I just wanted to make sure things were okay."

"I'm nervous. I can't do this. This whole date thing is new to me and I'm kinda freaking out a little bit," he rambled on, feeling his foot tap nervously against the tiled floor.

"You need to get your shit together, mate," Michael said, a bit harsher than he probably intended, as his eyes softened. "I'm sorry for all the things I did. I never meant to pressure you. I guess I couldn't see how stupid it was until now."

"Um, Michael?" Calum said after a while, having taken in what Michael had just said.

"Yeah?"

"It's alright."

"It's not really." There was a glimmer to Michael's eyes as he looked over at Calum. He readjusted the snapback he was wearing in a nervous manner. "It was peer pressure and it was wrong."

"I said, it's fine. We can't change what's happened in the past. Are we still friends?"

"If you promise not to mess with her. I know you're still talking to Alyssa."

"People of the opposite sex can be friends, you should know. You and Hayley are close."

"We haven't had sex, though."

"But something happened."

"No."

"Nothing?" Calum asked, his voice low. It was kind of obvious Michael was lying. No way would Hayley say they were together if nothing had ever happened between them. Teary eyed, he pushed the thoughts of that night out of his mind. "Are you sure about that?"

"I'm sure."

"We can't be friends if you're lying to me."

"Calum?" Michael said, as Calum was on his way out the door.

"Yeah?"

"Blow her away."

-

hey

had this already written though so figured i'd post it

still feeling down as i've just lost someone close to me

thanks for the support, you guys are lovely

~lauren