1.9

Hayley

calum: guess its trye im not god at a one offhand

calum: by I still ned love cuz im just a men

Of course, Hayley thought. Calum only ever seemed to be drunk when he thought of her. Why would he think of her when in his right mind? It did hurt, that their only contact lately had been like that. She knew he was probably with the other girl - so why did he have to rub it in her face?

hayley: don't text me unless you're sober and mean it

It was Friday night; the sound of the street coming through Hayley's window as she was in bed, just listening. There were high heels clicking against the pavement, a few scattered laughs or squeals from drunk people making their way back home from wherever they'd been and the occasional car zipping past.

With her window open, a clear shriek could be heard above the noise. "Calum!"

Hayley could easily have imagined it, but when his signature giggle followed, she knew it was real. She'd heard that soft, high-pitched voice before.

She was tired, yet her body wouldn't allow her to go to sleep. Thoughts pushed themselves into her head, demanding to be thought. Hayley gave in, letting images of his face sweep over her closed lids. Brown puppy eyes and full lips pulled into a smile.

She had figured it out, but not entirely. Michael made her feel happy. It was easy with him. Hayley wasn't sure what their relationship was, though. They'd hang out, joke around and hold hands. Sometimes he'd kiss her cheek or hold the door for her. It was comforting - simple. She felt safe with him, just like her secrets were safe with him; and his secrets were safe with her.

The picture of Calum wouldn't leave her mind. Every time she thought she had forgotten about him, he'd crawl his way back into her head by playing his stupid music upstairs, or send dumb text messages whilst drunk. Still, Hayley couldn't bring herself to block his number.

From upstairs, a thud woke Hayley from her thoughts. Staring at the ceiling, she could hear it again. It repeated until the rhythm moved not only through the walls, but also through her head. Once it was there, it wouldn't stop.

Had he actually brought a girl back?

Each thump hit right where it hurt. Not even with a pillow pressed over her face, would the sound stop haunting her. 

He had.

"I hate you, Calum Hood." And in that moment, she wasn't only close to hating him, but also herself and everyone else.

He'd changed. A lot. The innocent boy Hayley had first met was gone. Maybe because he'd been pushed around so much. But then again, what he was doing was all his own choice.

Calums birthday was just a few days away. She'd told Mikey she wasn't going; that it would feel weird. In an instant, that had changed. All Hayley wanted to do was to go there and crash the damn thing.

Hopefully, if he saw her face, he'd regret ever sleeping with the cute little brunette who'd bring him Starbucks and probably laugh at his jokes. She danced better than her, and could walk in stupid heels and wear cute dresses and gave him everything he ever wanted. She could probably sing, too.

Hayley cried until she fell asleep and slept until her phone woke her up.

"You're still in bed? It's four."

Hayley could hear the smile in Michael's voice. But it didn't make her feel any better.

"Yes," Hayley said, putting the phone down on her pillow, close to her face. Holding the phone to her ear required too much effort.

She was too tired to do anything. As if hearing whatever was going on upstairs last night hadn't pained her enough, she'd also been blessed with the cramps that same morning.

Michael sighed through the phone. "What's going on?"

"I just hate people today."

"You hate people every day," he chuckled.

"True."

"Anything I can do?" The voice on the other line softened a bit.

"No, it's fine."

"You sound like you've been hit by a truck, don't lie."

Hayley felt herself draw a sharp breath, feeling silly. She shouldn't care about what he did anymore but she did. "Maybe I have been hit by a truck."

"Did it hurt?"

"Fuck you."

"Awe, come on. Is this about Calum?"

"He brought a girl back last night."

"He... what?" Michael fell silent for a second. "Do you need cuddles?"

"Yes."

"I volunteer as tribute."

"Can you bring some crisps?"

When Michael showed up, he had not only brought crisps, but also some sweets. "I see you got yourself out of bed."

Still in sweats, Hayley rolled her eyes. She'd filled her water bottle up with hot water, and put it inside her teddy bear to keep it warm. She hugged it tightly. "I didn't think you would actually bring those. Thank you."

"You sounded so sad, I couldn't not," he said, looking at the teddy. "I see you replaced me before I even got here."

"Yeah."

"So you don't need cuddles anymore?"

"Nope."

"Too bad," Michael laughed, launching towards Hayley and hugging her from the side. His face tickled her neck.

"Get off!"

The purple haired boy let go, looking confused while Hayley hurried away to the bathroom. In there, she splashed her face with some water and swallowed a painkiller.

When she came back, Michael was sat on the sofa, watching the music channel.

"Why are you watching that?" She thought it was an attempt to make fun of her music taste. She already knew he thought it was rubbish, he didn't need to remind her. Michael would never listen to any of the songs played on there â unless Hayley had blinked and missed the moment he had become a Little Mix fan.

"Isn't this what you usually sing to?"

"Not anymore."

"Why not?"

"Some stupid guy will come and tell me to shut up," she said. "And I don't need any stupid boys around me anymore."

She didn't know why all conversations always had to end up being about Calum. It was as if she couldn't escape him. He was always there. It sucked, really.

-

Sorry it's a bit of a filler, but I've had writers block hehe

Next time we will crash Calum's birthdays party oops

~lauren