Chapter One (1)

"I already know what I'm getting you."

Jean looked over at Anthony from the passenger seat, waiting for him to continue. He didn't though; he didn't even give her the satisfaction of looking at her. He kept his eyes on the road, the corner of his mouth twitching as he tried to suppress a smile.

She sighed. He was constantly teasing her. However, it was hard not to get excited as she anticipated what he was hinting at. "And that is?"

Anthony glanced over just long enough to wink at her before turning his eyes back to the road. Jean tried her best to suppress her own smile as she shook her head in blissful frustration. One of her favorite things about him was he had always talked about their future together like it was already written. He knew what she wanted, and right now, it seemed like things were finally working out where she just might get it.

She was the first person he called when he found out he got the job. Jean had run out to the parking lot at her work so she could scream with him over the phone. Graduation was in just a few weeks, and he would start his sports marketing job in the new year. He had talked about this job since she met him, and he was motivated enough to actually reach his dreams.

Christmas was just over a month away, and while he apparently knew what he was getting her, she was at a loss. How would anything she got him compare to the MLB giving him his dream job?

When she saw he wasn't going to give in and tell her, she smirked out her window. "You're the absolute worst, you know that?"

Anthony shrugged. "You wouldn't be saying that if you knew what I'm getting you."

"Would you just tell me?" she laughed, exhausted as she pressed the side of her face into her headrest as she faced him. She knew he wouldn't, and she didn't want him to; it was supposed to be a surprise.

"No, I want you to guess."

Jean sighed deeply, giving into his games. "A pack of bobby pins. A sweater. Perhaps a candle, if I'm lucky." She spoke in a dull monotone, not able to stay in character when she made him laugh.

He punched his steering wheel in mock aggravation, the smile that still continued to melt her heart spread across his face. "Dang, that obvious?"

She shrugged, putting up her hands. "You're always complaining I leave my bobby pins at your house. I'm always in need of more. Seemed like the obvious gift choice."

He pulled into the parking lot and reached over to shift the car in park. He leaned back against the seat and his eyes searched hers. Her stomach flipped at the way he was looking at her.

"I want to spend the rest of my life making sure you always have enough bobby pins."

"This is what I'm talking about!" Jean yelled. He already had his arms up in defense as she playfully smacked his arm. "You're the worst, and you know it."

He was grinning when he caught her hand midair and brought it to his mouth to kiss the back of it. "I promise I'll make it up to you."

She relaxed, trying to imagine the joy she'd feel if he asked her to spend his life with her. She couldn't fathom it. It was hard enough to get over the joy he made her feel in moments like this. She wished he could drive her to work everyday; maybe starting her shift on a good note would make the job more bearable.

She took off her seatbelt, but hesitated as she looked through the windshield at the old coffee shop. As long as she'd worked here, it'd been a while since she really took notice of what the building looked like from the outside.

"I don't wanna work," she whispered, staring at the fence that boxed in the patio.

"Quit."

"And do what?"