Chapter Nine (9)

Jasmine spent more time applying products to Jean's face the next night than Jean collectively spent the entire month. Jean had grown accustomed to slapping on a few strokes of waterproof mascara and calling it a day. Jasmine had at least two dozen makeup products laying on the floor next to her.

"I'm afraid," Jean said.

"You shouldn't, you're gonna turn so many heads." Jasmine said, leaning back to look at Jean's face.
She smiled at her work.

When Jean looked in the mirror, she immediately objected. The black rimmed eyes made her look too edgy. Her lips were painted a darker brown. She looked barely recognizable.

"Take this off me," she objected, turning around in the chair to look at Jasmine.

Jasmine laughed "You need to trust me."

"I can't go into public looking like this."

"You look hot, it's something you stopped trying for months ago. It's time Jean. It's time. Now what are you doing with your hair?"

Jean figured the makeup was enough. "Nothing?" She didn't need Jasmine to answer her to know that that wouldn't be an option.

As Jasmine heated up two different curling irons, she handed Jean a shot. Jean threw it back instantly, knowing she would need the liquid courage to get herself to leave the house looking as she did.

As Jasmine styled Jean's hair, they both laughed and talked about what had been going on in each of their lives. Jasmine imitated Ametta which had Jean nearly in tears. It was good to have Jasmine back, she didn't realize how much she missed her until she was here.

Jasmine pulled some different shirts from her closet, and Jean widened her eyes in shock.

"No."

"You have the flattest belly in all the land, show it off."

"I'm not the kind of girl who wears these kind of clothes." Jean put her hands on her cheeks. "I don't have enough confidence. People will laugh. Other girls will hate me."

Jasmine got really close to Jean's face. "They hate you because you're hot. You're competition. They're going to hate you anyways regardless of what you're wearing. You might as well win the war while you're at it." She picked up the bottle of whiskey and handed it to Jean. "Now take a sip."

Jean took a sip and couldn't help but laugh at Jasmine's intensity. She reluctantly agreed to "try on" the clothes to appease Jasmine, but she should have known Jasmine better to know what she was doing.

"Oh. My. God." Jasmine said when Jean stepped out of the closet. "Jeanette fricken Arthur, I don't think I've ever seen you look this hot."

"Stop," Jean said, turning in the mirror and putting her hands on her bare stomach. "I'm not wearing this."

"Are you nuts?" Jasmine said. "So many girls would kill for your body. You can work it, and you need to go for it."

Jean knew it wasn't wise, but then again, she was tired of being wise. She was tired of feeling hurt and she was tired of her life. Maybe this was the start of something new. Jasmine was all she had left, and she wanted her to have fun, then she would try things her way.

"Screw it," Jean said, taking one more shot of whiskey. "Just make sure you take lots of pictures to make Anthony jealous."

Jasmine cheered and gave Jean a hug. "That's my girl!"

As the alcohol started to break down her walls, she started to let go of all she was hanging onto.

***