Chapter Eight (8)

The first semester had ended, and while Shawn was grateful for the two weeks off of school, grade cards were due as soon as he returned. Grading writing was his least favorite thing to do. The insane amount of grammatical errors made him believe that either these children were sleeping through elementary school, or the entire school system had failed them.

When he walked in, he instantly noticed the girl behind the counter. As soon as he saw her look up, he knew she was the familiar girl from Megan's apartment. The one who was crying. While she wasn't crying anymore, she didn't look...well. Like she was tired, or sick. While she looked each customer in the eyes and even laughed at times, it all seemed so forced.

Seeing her in the light, he knew that he recognized her from high school. He definitely graduated with her, but couldn't quite think of what her name was. She looked a little different than how he remembered; she had let her bleached hair grow out to its more natural blonde. She looked thinner now, and she wore a lot less makeup. It was as if she had become a brand new person.

When Shawn walked up, she looked him in the eye and gave a tired smile.

"Hi, what can I get started for you?" she said, genuinely kind. Shawn felt like he knew something he shouldn't. For some reason he was expecting her to burst into tears at any moment. He wanted to ask her if she was okay, but he didn't want to be the guy who didn't know how to mind his own business.

He found himself feeling bad; she probably thought she was having a private moment, but Shawn was unbeknownst watching her from his car. He looked at her name tag.

Jeanette. Jeanette Arthur? He was fairly certain that was her name. He had heard it from time to time, but in a class of 500, sometimes people passed under the radar.

"Hey there," Shawn said, looking up at the menu above her head. He pondered for a few moments. "I'll have the small coffee."

For some reason Jean laughed. "Cream and sugar?"

"What?"

"Do you want cream...or sugar?" Jean asked, her voice trailing off at the end in uncertainty.

"No, why'd you laugh?" Shawn asked, looking back at her with amusement.

Jean laughed nervously. "I'm sorry, I don't know." She took the small coffee cup and handed it to Shawn.

Shawn looked at the empty cup and then back at Jean. He didn't move.

"I'm sorry I'm new here, do you have to pay extra to get the coffee inside?"

Jean smiled and nodded towards the coffee pots on the bar across the room. "The different flavors are in the canisters over there, and you fill it up yourself."

Shawn pointed at Jean with the cup and started to back away. "Got it. Thank you."

Shawn didn't know why, but he felt like by making her smile, he had done the world a favor. He could see the hurt written in her eyes, and he had seen it firsthand the other night. After he filled his cup and sat down, he pulled out his papers and started grading.

There wasn't many people in the shop. A couple of old people in the corner, and few college looking aged kids with their laptops open in front of them. He watched as Jean walked over to the table of old people and ask how they were doing. Her face seemed to light up and she seemed genuinely interested in what they were saying. He looked down and finished grading; he didn't wanna be the creepy guy staring.

"I see you figured it out?" her voice said, pulling him from his work.

Shawn laughed and nodded towards the cup. "Yes. You can probably tell I don't drink coffee that often."