Chapter Two (2)

Jean drove towards Anthony's house, the pumpkin pies sitting on the passenger seat. She was thankful for his family, they had become like her own and she was happy to have them during the holidays. They didn't know all the details of her family situation; just that they weren't very involved and Jean didn't spend holidays with them.

Jean remembered when her parents told her they were leaving. The company they were in was expanding and opening new locations down south. They accepted their new positions and told
Jean that they would be moving within the month. Things weren't very clear if Jean was invited to tag along, but their inability to ask her what her plans were proved to her her they probably didn't want her to. Jean had just enrolled in college and was taking classes; she needed to finish out the semester before she could even decide if moving states was possible. She stayed with Jasmine for a couple weeks while she tried to figure things out. When her parents never reached out to ask where she ended up living, it became clear how much they didn't care. Either didn't care or were so wrapped up in their own lives they forgot about hers. She got the cheapest apartment she could find with a roommate who would be married in a couple years and leave Jean to herself.

It had been six years since they left, and she still hadn't seen them, unless you counted the obligatory video calls they did on each other's birthdays and Christmas. When they talked about what's new at school and work and if she was dating anyone. They always encouraged her to find a boyfriend so she wouldn't be alone.

She arrived at Anthony's apartment and took a deep breath as she thought about the drastic difference in quality. Anthony's apartment was much nicer than hers. His had a patio that faced a creek and had a nice view of an oak tree. Hers had a balcony that overlooked a pool. The summers were great, getting woken up by screaming kids at the break of dawn. It wasn't the best, but she could afford it and that was what mattered.

Anthony buzzed Jean in. She dropped her duffel bag by the door and he took the pies from her to put in the fridge.

"What time did you want to leave in the morning?"

"No later than seven."

Jean moaned and threw her head back as she collapsed on the couch. "Why?"

Anthony chuckled and came back to pull her into his arms. "For a barista, you shouldn't hate mornings as much as you do."

"It's why I need a career change."

Anthony sat down next to Jean and put his arm around her. "What would you do?"

Jean relaxed against his chest and thought for a second. "I wish I knew." It wasn't like Anthony, who knew exactly what he wanted to do since the beginning of high school. It was one of the things she adored most about him; if he wanted something, he would get it. He didn't let life get in his way. He was motivated and never gave up.

"Maybe a firefighter, or a police officer," Anthony said enthusiastically.

She chuckled against his chest. "I always wonder if the people who go into those careers knew since Kindergarten and gave the same answer then."

"Doubt it, I bet when they were five they said customer service representative."

"They should do a study."

Jean sat with Anthony's arms around her, staring at the wall across the room. She didn't know what she wanted to do. She could never picture herself as anything. When she thought about her future, that part of it was always blank. She knew she wanted a family and children, but even the thought of being a stay at home mom felt wrong. Would she even be capable of being a good mother?

"Do you want kids?" Jean asked.

Anthony laughed to himself before answering. "Why are you asking?"