Chapter Thirty-One (31)

Jean felt her heart stop as she saw the gun emerge from his pocket. Everything went fuzzy for a minute and she thought she was going to pass out. Her mouth went dry, and she was too shocked to move or say a word. Instead of pointing the gun at her, he pointed it directly to the head of the tattooed girl. The girl let out a sob of desperation and fear.

How was this happening?

"Drop your phone," Donovan said. "Or I kill her right here."

Jean instantly dropped her phone to the pavement and put her hands up so they were next to her head. The other man, who did not at all seemed bothered by the sight of the gun, threw his cigarette down and started walking towards Jean. Instead of looking at her though, he kept his eyes on her phone and quickly crushed it with his boot. She could feel her body shaking in fear as he bent down to pick up her destroyed phone. Her breath quickened and tears rushed to her eyes as she continued to stare at the other girl, who looked scared out of her mind as well.

She had always known Donovan as a tad creepy, but never violent. Not someone who assaulted women as he was clearly doing. Was he planning some sort of revenge on the club for firing him? Did this all stem down to Jean? The girl with the gun to her head became blurred through her tears.

Did this sort of thing happen all the time?

Instead of walking towards Jean, the man who destroyed who phone walked back towards Donovan, who handed the girl off to him. She stumbled, and Jean gasped when she saw the man not even hesitate to punch her in the stomach. The girl doubled over, and he grabbed her by the back of the neck before shoving her towards the back of the building.

"Here I thought you had learned by now," the man said to her. "There'll be more of that later."

The sickness was up to Jean's throat. She had no idea what was going on or who any of these people were. When Jean looked back to Donovan, she watched as he turned the gun on her.

Everything spun, and she was certain she was going to pass out, but she closed her eyes instead, waiting for the shot that would end her life.

"Always you," Donovan said, his voice menacing with anger. "Messing up everything. You really picked the wrong place to be this time."

Her hands were shaking so hard she didn't know how much longer she could keep them in the air, but she was too terrified to move an inch.

"Please don't kill me," Jean whispered, unsure if Donovan even heard her. He wouldn't do it, would he? After seeing him dragging that girl, she really didn't know what he was capable of anymore.

Donovan looked like he was absolutely losing it. While he kept the gun pointed at her, she could tell he was struggling with whatever was going on in his mind. He closed his eyes, gritting his teeth as he growled profanities under his breath as he wiped his forehead on his arm. He was sweating and it looks like his own arms were shaking. He clearly had not expected her to see him.

When Jean noticed he wasn't as focused, as carefully as she could with her hands still in the air, she started to inch away. However, he noticed her movement and this only seemed to startle him. He thrust the gun harder in her direction and she couldn't help the cry of fear that escaped her chest as she froze back in place.

"Why'd you come?" Donovan shouted, obviously upset and trying to hold it together. "You weren't supposed to be here, Jean!"

She was terrified of the intense emotion he showed, and she knew this could either go one of two ways. It was obvious he was struggling with what to do. There was a chance he would let her go. She willed for him to forget about the negative encounters they had and remember the times where they had normal conversations. He knew her before any of this. They laughed together, he walked her to her car every other night after work. Surely he wasn't capable of hurting her?