Chapter Fourteen (14)

Author's note: HEY EVERYONE. 600 reads? It may not seem like a lot to some people BUT TO ME IM SO GRATEFUL. Thanks so much!

I know for a wattpad story, this book may be long. YES I KNOW chelseatbrown IT TOOK JEAN AND SHAWN 8 CHAPTERS TO MEET. BACKSTORY IMPORTANT THOUGH. PLUS WERE ALL STILL ROOTING FOR 🐜 ANTHONY RIGHT?

It's long because I'm trying to right a full novel. Like 100,000 words THIS AINT NO JOKE novel. This is my rough draft, my first draft, and you guys push me and motivate me to keep going! If you read my annoying author's notes, you know God put this story on my heart 10 years ago, and a decade later I'm finally getting it written. It's all because of you guys! I just need to get the words out, then I'll clean it up and make it great. Thanks for forgiving my typos and mistakes.

ALSO SHOUT OUT TO @WarriorOfTheLORDGOD who entertained my dumb trivia and got a character named after her!

Enjoy! Please let me know what you think!
___________________________________

It would be Jean's luck to get pulled over with expired plates and get a $150 fine. Right after finding out that she'd basically lost her job.

Jean had never dreaded going into work as much as she did this evening. It was the first time she was going to face Terry since finding out she had basically laid her off. She didn't know how she was going to feel when she saw her. However, she didn't know how she was going to get her bills paid this month, so she needed every hour she could get.

Terry was in her office and Jean didn't bother to say hello to her. She punched in, put on her apron, and headed for the front register.

Jean was there for a couple hours. Terry came up front and would talk to a few customers. When she was transitioning back, she patted Jean on the shoulder. She cringed, only getting more angry. What game was she playing?

The bell rang, and she looked up to see two girls walking towards the counter. They were whispering to each other as they approached, and Jean's eyes narrowed in confusion until she realized who it was.

Ametta.

Jean felt her body tense up as they walked up. Ametta looked slightly uncomfortable, but the other girl took the lead.

"Hi," the dark haired girl said, overly nice to where it sounded fake. "We would both like large soybean lattes with no whip."

Jean couldn't move. She moved her eyes from the girl who was speaking to her to Ametta. Ametta pressed her lips together like she was trying to suppress a smile, her eyes fixed on her friend. Did they plan this?

The girl who was taking charge looked at Ametta. "Should we get anything for Anthony?"

"Megan!" Ametta whispered, slapping her in the rib cage with the back of her hand.

Jean took a step back at those words. They knew who she was. They had purposely come here to hurt her. Hadn't they put her through enough? She turned away and walked into the back. Terry was in her office and she stopped in the doorway.

"You have to help the girls at the register," Jean said with urgency, trying to keep her voice steady. "I can't."

Terry's eyes narrowed at Jean and she got up from her seat. Terry walked past her without saying a word. Jean moved her body to let Terry pass. She remained where she was, leaning against the doorframe for support to herself while she took deep breaths to calm down.

She could hear the girls talking in high pitched kind voices to Terry. Then they laughed. Jean felt sick. What could have possibly justified in their minds that it was okay to come here? And the Anthony comment, it just proved that they were trying to get a rise out of her.