Chapter Seven (7)

Jean could barely feel anything when she pulled into Anthony's apartment complex. She pulled into her usual spot and saw Anthony's truck parked in his usual spot. Her heart started beating wildly in her chest at the sight of it. He was here. She would see him.

She wondered if any of these cars were Ametta's.

She wasn't thinking, only reacting. The world had thrown her to the ground, but she was going to have something to say about it.

Walking up to the outside door,  she jammed her finger into the buzzer. Not losing momentum, she paced back and forth, waiting for an answer. It seemed like an eternity. Then she heard his voice for the first time in weeks.

"Hello?"

She felt like she could kick down the door herself. She clenched her jaw and gritted her teeth before slamming her hand back down on the button to speak.

"Open the door."

She waited for the click that the door would make when Andy let her in, but it didn't come. She held down the buzzer again and didn't let go until she heard the door click.

She ripped open the door and marched down the hallway, her hands gripped into fists. Anthony was already in the hallway, clearly panicked, and walking in her direction to meet her.

"Jean, what are you-"

She marched past him, stopping him dead in his tracks, and walked in his apartment. He stood stunned and dazed for a moment before turning and following her in. As soon as he crossed the threshold, she slammed his door closed and locked it.

"Is she here?" Jean asked, turning towards Anthony and staring up into his eyes. He looked absolutely terrified of her and it only fueled her more.

"What?"

"Is Ametta here?" Jean said louder, enunciating each word.

Anthony looked at her like he was afraid to answer, like anything he said might set off a bomb. "No."

"Good," Jean breathed, stepping forward to grab his face and pull his lips down to hers. He pulled away in surprise, but she used the moment to rip off her shirt. While his desperate eyes looked at her, she pushed him backwards onto the couch so she could have more control. She started unbuttoning his shirt, moving in to kiss him again when he reached towards her hands to stop them. She felt him weaken and kiss her back, moving his hands from hers to take off his own shirt.

When she felt him stop resisting her and kiss her back, she felt alive for the first time in weeks. He wanted her again. Things made sense. Everything was going to be okay.

He breathed her name and she pushed him back down, climbing on top of him and kissing him roughly. He kissed her back, his hands moving all over her body. She started to unbutton his jeans, but he put his hands on her waist and quickly pushed her off of him.

"Jean, no," he gasped, holding her at arm's length and looking her in the eyes. Her eyes narrowed in confusion as he let go of her and picked up his shirt. She sat there, too stunned to move.

Out of the corner of her eye she saw him slip his own shirt back on before picking up hers and handing it to her. She couldn't move.

"Jean, you shouldn't be here," Anthony finally said weakly.

The heaviness of the rejection transformed into anger. She was the one who was always stopping him. Now when she was trying to give him what he always wanted, he was pushing her away. Nothing made sense.

"Why are you doing this?" she breathed, her eyes desperately looking up to meet his. When she saw him facing the other way, she stood so she could walk over and catch his gaze.