Chapter Twenty-Eight (28)

Quick note; bless you all for your support. I'm sorry but I'll never stop thanking you guys. #31 in Jesus and I DON'T HAVE WORDS. I appreciate every vote, comment, read. Ugh. Love you guys.

NOW LET'S GET READY TO RUMBBBLEEEEE
____________________________________

Jean felt like she had barely any life left in her as she lifted her fist to knock on Brooke's door. She was afraid to lose the buzz she had, so she had spent most of the day nursing it. Not having heard from Shawn, she figured it was safe to assume that he had heard the news. Otherwise, he would have come banging on her door like he usually did, demanding an explanation for why she broke up with him.

She was scheduled to work at Carmello's that night. However, when she drove across the parking lot, she realized that she was in no state to be driving. She may not care what happened to her at this point, but she wasn't going to ruin someone else's life by getting in a wreck. She pulled her car into a nearby spot on the other side of the lot and walked back in her building.

Brooke opened her door and looked at Jean. She sighed deeply.

"You finally calm down?" She said with a smirk.

Jean shrugged. "Who knows."

Brooke stepped aside and motioned for her to come in. Jean walked into the family room.

"I fired Donovan," Brooke said.

Jean felt her heart skip a beat and she looked at her. "You did?"

Brooke sighed. "Yes. He caused enough trouble, and I just couldn't justify it anymore." She started shaking her head as she looked deep in thought. "I watched the entire thing go down last night. Although I couldn't hear what exactly was said, I saw that he didn't do his job. Too much drama has gone down with him there."

Jean couldn't believe it. She hoped she would never have to see him again.

Jean sighed. "Well, I guess he had it coming." She stretched her arms above her head. "Also, can I carpool with you to work?" She giggled. "I think I'm too drunk to drive."

***

She had heard of people going off the deep end. She supposed she was one of those people too. People probably assumed the night of the video was rock bottom for her, but they weren't even close. It was this. It was hard to care about anything anymore. Now more than ever, she had truly lost everything. Now was just surviving.

Her outfit was remarkably skimpier than the other ones she wore, and her regulars noticed. More people were asking for her attention and she was receiving much higher tips than usual. Why had she been so afraid all this time? She was here, so she might as well be doing it right. Now that she had nothing left, it was time to embrace what she was evidently meant for.

When one of her customers went to leave, she gave him a friendly hug. She decided to ignore when his hand reached down too low behind her. When she turned to check on her other customers, she jumped when someone was standing way too close to her.

She was staring directly into a chest that was way too familiar.

Oh no. Oh dear god, no.

She didn't even need to look up to his face to know who it was.

"Really?" Shawn asked, coming towards Jean as she stepped backwards away from him. "You're really doing this?"

Jean's jaw had wired shut and she felt her breath coming in quicker through her nose as her eyes met Shawn's. She continued to back up until she hit a table. Glassed knocked to the ground and shattered behind her, but she couldn't take her eyes away from his.