Chapter Five (5)

It took Jean 45 minutes to get to Jasmine's house when it usually took 15. She had lived in this town her entire life but she found herself missing nearly every turn. She ended up on side streets she didn't recognize. She knew she shouldn't be behind a wheel, but she needed to get out of there.

Jasmine sprinted down the driveway as soon as she pulled in. Jean got out of her car immediately as Jasmine threw her arms around her and pulled her close.

"I'm so sorry," she whispered and Jean cried into her shoulder. She took Jean inside, and to Jean's relief her family wasn't around. She didn't want anyone to see her in this state.

In Jasmine's room, Jean buried herself under her comforter. Jasmine laid next to her and played with her hair. For a long time, they said nothing. Jean cried until she physically couldn't anymore.

"Ametta Rollins," Jasmine finally said, shaking her head. "I just don't get it. How do you go from girl next door Jeanette Arthur to that home wrecker? You two couldn't be more opposite."

"She literally models clothing," Jean cried into the pillow. She remembered someone pointing her out in a store ad that came in the newspaper. "She's gorgeous."

"Her personality sucks and she's mean. Also, she's not that pretty," Jasmine said, clearly desperately trying to get Jean to feel better.

"Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean they're not pretty."

"Yes it does, if all I see is their ugly soul."

Jean laughed even though she was dying inside. Jasmine laid down next to her and put her head against Jean's and held her hand.

"Anthony is the one with the ugly soul," Jean said, the tears soaking the pillow her. "He lied right to my face." She tried to wrap her head around the fact that this had been going on longer than today. Did Anthony talk to this girl about Jean? Did he complain about her?

"So did you see her?" Jasmine said. "Did you walk in on them?"

"No, she was hiding, but they forgot to hide her shoes."

"Idiots," Jasmine whispered. "How far has he gone with her?"

Jean felt herself grow sick. "He claims they were just talking."

"Do you believe him?"

Jean pressed the heels of her hands into her eyes. "Yeah."

Jasmine shook her head, processing it all. "Well, that's not so bad. So it's not like he technically cheated on you. Maybe you guys will be able to work it out."

Jean sat up and looked down at Jasmine. "You wouldn't consider what he did cheating? He was hiding a girl in his house."

"But they weren't romantic. They just talked."

"When I asked if he liked her, he didn't say anything. It's obvious he does." Jean felt herself growing angry at Jasmine. "Why are you defending him?"

"I'm not, I'm just trying to make sense of the situation and figure out what's going on. I mean, if he lied about her being there he might be lying about the just talking thing."

Jean's head hurt, and she suddenly wanted nothing more than to just be completely alone. Did Jasmine think that Anthony was more innocent just because they didn't kiss? It was almost worse that they were just talking. Being physical, Jean could almost figure out. He was frustrated because they weren't doing that, so he was getting it from someone else. But Jean talked to Anthony, and if he was just talking to someone else, it meant that Jean wasn't enough.