Chapter Nineteen (19)

"You're falling in love with him."

Jean pushed Jasmine over on the couch and got up to get a glass of water. Jasmine was home for Jean's birthday, and she only wanted to talk about Jean's newfound friendship with Shawn and his friends. She should have known if she gave Jasmine and inch she'd take a mile.

"Jazz, please."

"Jean, you started running with him and his friends. If you're willing enough to go running with the guy, then there is no further argument. You love him."

To be honest, she didn't know what they were. Both of them had gotten out of serious relationships not that long ago, and besides the time they spent alone together, neither of them made any action to push them past the line of friendship. Jean preferred it that way. If she fell in love with Shawn, then she would feel so much more guilty for the secrets she was keeping from him. There was too much risk. At least right now.

"The guy has seen me at my worst far too many times for the short amount of time that I've known him. If anything he just pities me at this point." Jean replied.

Jasmine rolled her eyes. "Keep telling yourself that."

They were spending a lot of time together since their time at church. Shawn, Scottie, Tyler, and Zeiler ran nearly every morning together, and on mornings when Jean didn't work the night before, she started joining them. Not everyone could make it everyday, and sometimes it was just her and Shawn, sometimes just Zeiler and her, but there was always someone. When it was just Shawn and her, he would tell her more stories about Jesus or stories from the Bible. They were interesting and she didn't mind it, although she wasn't sure if she was ready to buy into the whole thing. She also wasn't sure how he could just effortlessly speak while running when she could barely breathe. It did force her to listen.

Jasmine helped Jean clean her apartment as the four of them were coming over. As many times as she had been to Shawn's house at this point, he had never seen her apartment. It wasn't that impressive, it was small, and her balcony faced a pool, but she figured she would have to let them over sometime.

Everyone came over after dinner and Jean introduced everyone to Jasmine. Shawn, of course, instantly won her over by complimenting her shoes. Zeiler was also laughing with her in no time. Jean couldn't help but smile. It was good to see everyone getting alone.

Scottie helped himself to a tour around the house, and he was most excited about the pool.

"So I'll be coming over every day," Scottie said when Jean joined him on the balcony.

"Scottie, you don't want to swim in that pool. Believe me."

He leaned against the rail and smiled over at her. "You don't know me at all." He winked. "I'll see you tomorrow, ready to get my tan on."

Jean laughed and showed everyone the rest of her tiny home. They all settled in the family room when there was a knock on the door. Jean was confused about who it could be; basically everyone she knew was already here.

"Brooke!" She said surprised when she opened the door. "I didn't know you'd be home."

She smiled and looked around. "Sorry I didn't know you'd have company!" In her defense, Jean never had companu. She waved at everyone inside. "Thought I'd just drop off your paycheck."

"Thanks!" Jean said. "Why don't you come in?"

Brooke raised her eyebrows. "I don't want to interrupt."

"You're not interrupting!" Jean said, and everyone backed her up and invited her inside. Brooke laughed and put her stuff down in the apartment and came inside.