Chapter Thirty-Three (33)

Jean's world was sinking in the ocean that was God's grace.

She hadn't been able to process anything else after what the man from the hotel said to her. Had she somehow subconsciously remembered Taylor's sign language and unknowingly signed "help me" while standing in the hotel lobby? She remembered thinking it, hoping the look on her face would be enough. And of all the people who could have possibly been standing behind the hotel counter, it was someone who could actually understand what she was saying.

The odds of all the pieces falling together were greater than any doubt she could have had in God's existence.

Jean hadn't had a chance to look at herself, but she was handed over to the medics rather quickly. The cut on her hand looked much worse than it actually was, but the responders seemed much more concerned with the injuries to her head and face. It was determined rather quickly that Jean had a concussion, and she was admitted into the hospital to be observed.

A detective by the name of Thomas Grey, who Jean had met in the lobby of the hotel, escorted her to the hospital. He was friendly and took the time to explain everything that was happening and was going to happen to Jean. Jean hated to be separated from Cecilia, but having an arm covered with blood deemed necessary for immediate treatment, and Cecilia was more than willing to give the police information. Jean had been told that victims in their situation were not usually as compliant with police, and it was a miracle they had come across the two of them. They were hopeful Cecilia's answers would help lead to more rescues as she had come from a larger operation.

Jean had told Thomas that she had just been abducted the day before. When she gave him the information, he had told her that her absence was reported less than 12 hours ago. He said they were able to move in for the rescue so quickly as the worker gave a detailed description of what Jean looked like.

Donovan had told Mitch that nobody would be looking for her, but it didn't even take them half a day to find her. Now she understood why Mitch was so nervous and why Donovan looked like he was losing his mind after she witnessed what she did at Carmello's.

"What will happen to Cecilia?" Jean asked. It seemed pretty obvious that she wasn't from the United States. What if she didn't have anyone here to help her?

"She will be okay," Thomas said. "More times than not, victims are not always trusting or compliant with police. Many victims end up going back to their captors because they don't know what else to do when their freed."

Jean felt sick to her stomach, but Thomas continued. "We were very fortunate to come across you guys. Cecilia has already shown us that she wants to help and she'll be taken care of. It's clear that you guys were connected to a much larger trafficking network, and were thinking Cecilia might be the key to getting more people out. She'll be given a U visa if she's not here legally."

Jean felt chills. The more she learned, the more she could already see how God was working. She was in complete awe of all He had done for her. If Cecilia was the key, and Jean had been the ticket out...it was too much to wrap her head around.

More than that, Cecilia's faith was restored the night Jean's began.

Jean sat in the hospital bed, wanting nothing more than to just go home. She had never experienced such an intense amount of emotions in her entire life. She was happy Thomas was there; she knew if she was alone, her mind would go back to the fear she experienced. Thomas didn't know who reported her as missing, but he assured her that her family had been contacted and were given information on where she was.

"By family, do you mean the people who reported me as missing?" Jean said, trying to understand.

Thomas looked confused. "Yes."