V

Shopping with Jenna was fun. She asked me what my style was and then would suggest things that we saw. She was respectful of what I wanted, but insisted constantly that I get a certain type of something, even when I knew it was expensive. After we were done we stopped at a coffee shop for something to drink and a small bite to eat, and then headed home.
Tyler came out to help us unload, and was appalled by all the things that Jenna bought me. We had brought everything inside to my room when she smacked her forehead. "We forgot clothes!" She exclaimed. I laughed. "I think that can wait until tomorrow hun." Tyler smiled. I nodded in agreement before starting to unpackage everything. I laid out the bed sheets since Jenna said she would wash them before I went to bed. Tyler helped me unpack and set everything up while Jenna washed my sheets and made dinner downstairs. It was a comfortable quiet that was in the air when Tyler and I were doing things. Occasionally he'd ask where to set something, like a book or a package of pens and I'd respond with a simple word like 'desk' or 'shelf'. I'm not one for talking.
Jenna finished making dinner and called us down to eat. I set foot on the landing after the first flight of stairs when the doorbell rang. I looked at Tyler who was following me and cocked an eyebrow.
"Oh, that's Josh and Debby, we asked them to come for dinner, is that okay?" He asked. I nodded and continued down the stairs. I step foot onto the hardwood floor when someone scooped me into their arms and held me upside down. I squealed and flailed my limbs. "Josh! What did we agree on? Don't scare her yet!" Tyler whined. "But she's so tiny, I couldn't resist." Josh complained. "Put the poor kid down Josh." A lady, or what I thought was Debby, said. Josh carefully righted me back up and set me on the floor carefully. "Sorry kid." Josh apologized. "No, you're fine." I sighed. "C'mon guys, dinner is ready." Jenna said from the kitchen. We all sat down and I marveled at the food that sat on the table. Several dishes contained a meat and noodle of some sort and others had vegetables and fruits of many types. I think Tyler saw my shocked face, because he suddenly laughed. I sat down quietly as everyone dished food for themselves. Jenna looked at me confused.
"Are you hungry Connie?" Jenna asked. I nodded. "Everything just looks so good." I said quietly. Everyone laughed. "Here, lets start off with a few things and then see what you think." She said while passing me a bowl of what looked like spaghetti. I took a small bit before taking the next bowl that Jenna had handed me. It was a vegetable salad of some sort with a dressing I didn't know. I started off with tiny bites while everyone was talking about random things. Tyler would occasionally comment on things, but otherwise, he also stayed quiet. I finished my food and sat listening.
After dinner was over and Josh and Debby had left, I helped clean dishes despite Tyler and Jenna's best wishes for me not too. I then climbed the stairs and sprawled myself across my now clothed bed. I sighed and rubbed my face. Too much social interaction for me, way too much. It was only two other people too. How am I gonna manage with a life like this, even if they don't keep me forever? I got up and changed into my old bedclothes and crawled under the covers of my bed with a journal and a pen. I sat there for a moment, looking at the blank cover of my leather bound journal before opening to the song I had started earlier, but hadn't finished. I had around six lines, but I couldn't think about much else. I sat for about, what seemed, like an eternity. I threw my book at the wall in frustration, forgetting I wasn't in the orphanage where I could willing do that without getting yelled at. I quickly realized what I had done and looked at my journal in horror. Before I could even move Tyler burst into my room, looking panicked. "Is something wrong?" He breathed. I sighed before responding. "Yeah, just frustrated with my mind." He nodded. "Do you need anything?" He asked. "A piano?" I asked, unsure of my answer. "Come with me." He said. I climbed out of bed, grabbed my journal, and followed Tyler to the basement. He opened a door that revealed a huge studio that held several keyboards, ukulele's and basses, there was even a drumset. Tyler walked in a pulled down a keyboard from his wall and put it on a stand before plugging it into the wall.
"I know it's not Clancy, but will it do?" Tyler asked. I nodded and sat down at the keyboard. "When you're done, just turn off the keyboard. I'll put it away tomorrow." Tyler said. "Thanks Tyler." I said. "You're welcome Connie, goodnight." He said before shutting the door on his way out. I sighed and opened my journal, trying to think of words and melodies.

-DLJ