XIX

I had managed to find a first-aid kit in the house and stitch up my lip before Jenna came home. I covered the now scab that was the cut with makeup that I had left over from a long time ago, but there was still a bump where it was. I changed into a different shirt and made myself look presentable before working on some homework I had. Sooner or later Jenna came home and I went downstairs to help unload groceries alongside Tyler. When he got a good look at me, he had a face of disbelief, like what he saw an hour ago had never existed. Tyler didn't say anything about what he saw, luckily, but he kept an eye out for anything unusual, like flinching or wincing, so I made sure not to bump into anything.
When I looked into the mirror before I took a shower I saw that many bruises had developed already, making my skin look like a demented rainbow of reds, purples, yellows, greens, blues, and browns. I scowled at my skin before getting into the shower, which revealed even more bruises to my eyes. I got out and changed into a long-sleeved shirt and into some sweatpants, and settled into bed for the night with a book. A small while later someone knocked on the door and waited for me to let them come in, and I did. It was Tyler of course.
"Did,"He paused. "Did that actually happen?" He asked. I shook my no, y'know, like a liar. He nodded, hesitated, and then walked down the hallway.

The next few days followed that pattern, and I started to take a small, homemade first-aid kit with me in my bag. It contained makeup, bandages, a needle and thread, disinfectant spray, and a few other things that I might need. I would walk home, per my request, and bandage or cover my injuries on the way, which was something I perfected over a few days.
Tyler and Josh were both concerned and suspicious, but since I never came back home looking like I had died, gone to hell, and come back, they didn't hound me. Jenna never found out, I think.

School was out for Thanksgiving Break and we were heading over to Tyler's house for Thanksgiving Dinner. Jenna was bringing several pies, butterscotch(per Tyler's request), pecan, rhubarb, apple, and pumpkin.
I got dressed in a pair of black leggings, a long-sleeved red jumper, and some black Victorian boots with a wide brimmed hat that had a carnation pined to it.
It took around a half hour to get to Tyler's parent's house, which was enough time for me to over think things.
When we arrived, I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car. I helped Jenna bring in the pies, so I was excused for a second, but when we came back into the living room, I was bombarded with questions. Tyler got them all to calm down and he introduced me to his family.
I smiled and waved politely, like every person should when meeting someone new, then I had free roam. I found myself sitting in the parlor of the house, where nobody else was. I had a glass of water, but I didn't feel thirsty. I looked around at the photos that were hung on the walls, seeing pictures of Tyler and his siblings growing up.
"Hey!" A female voice exclaimed. I whipped around to find Tyler's little sister Madison standing in the doorway of the parlor with a smile on her face.
"Why are you in here by yourself?" She asked. "I prefer to be by myself, in these situations." I stated before picking up my glass and taking a sip of the water. She nodded. "I understand completely, but the family wants to meet you. You're the first grandchild, as well as niece." She explained. I nodded slightly before walking past Madison and into the hallway.
I found myself in the kitchen by Jenna, where I was comfortable. I had talked to both Zack and Jay, as well as their wives, and Madison's husband. I called their parents Mr. and Mrs. Joseph, but there was a quick end to that.
"Oh no, please call us Kelly and Chris." Tyler's mom said. I nodded and smiled.
I think Tyler saw me many times. Whenever I would bump into someone, or someone would bump into me, I would flinch. One; I admit, I know I am being bullied, but I can stop it by myself. And two; every limb in my body, including my torso, aches.
We sat down for dinner and prayed, which was unusual to me, and then ate. I didn't eat much, which is just how I live my life, but I know Tyler's family was a bit worried. No doubt they would talk to both Tyler and Jenna, but they would just say I don't have a big appetite.
We stayed there well into the night, talking or watching movies. I found myself sitting alone on the floor by Jenna whilst on my phone, not talking to anyone. And finally, we left. I think both Tyler and Jenna could sense that I just didn't want to be there, that I felt out of place. They told me to go wait in the car while they talked to Tyler's parents, which I happily did.
We drove home in uncomfortable silence.

-DLJ