Chapter Three

[Ignore the top image, I've been writing this chapter for a while.]

Before I get into the chapter, I would like to dedicate it to the absolutely amazing crysun03! This is my second time requesting from her, and I will definitely be back! This new cover turned out absolutely beautiful, and I swear I'm gonna end up bothering her all the time. 😫 If you want a quality cover, she's definitely the way to go!

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way."
—Martin Luther King

CONTROL,CHAPTER THREE

CONTROL,
CHAPTER THREE

IT HAD BEEN a few days since Ruby woke up in the Glade and was placed into the Slammer. Not many people came by, mainly just Newt and Alby to ask her questions. That always went the same, and usually ended with her cussing them.

However, one night, when the stars were already high up in the sky, she had an unexpected visitor.

"Are you doing okay in here?" It was that boy again, Thomas. His expression was less harsh this time, more soft and concerned than before. Ruby didn't say anything, turning so she was curled up in a corner. Thomas sat down anyway, his back against some of the bars that kept her locked in. "I brought you some water."

"I'm not an animal", Ruby spat back harshly. "You put me in a cage and now, what, you're bringing me water so you can keep the little dog alive?"

Thomas's eyes widened as he turned to peer at her between the bars. He looked almost comical as he shook his head, stammering over his words. "That's not — no — I mean — that's not it at all!"

"Then what do you want?", she asked bitterly.

"To get to know you?" Ruby scoffed, rolling her eyes. It was a simple way of saying, 'I'm calling your bullshit.' Except, this time, Thomas really was telling the truth. "You seem to know my name... But I don't remember you... Do you know anything? About the two of us I mean.

"We have to do this, Thomas. WCKD is good, remember?"

Ruby blinked, scrunching her brows together in confusion. Where had that memory come from? When had she said those words? "No", she finally said.

Thomas frowned, leaning back against the bars again. "Oh... okay."

Ruby frowned, reaching through the bars to touch his shoulder. "I know that you once meant a lot to me I guess, if that helps."

──┅┅┄┄*:.✧✲*⋆─── ⋆✩⋆

"Hey, Ruby."

Ruby looked up through the bars of the slammer at a familiar pair of green eyes. "Hi there, my English muffin!"

Leo rolled his eyes, sitting crossed legged in front of her. "Guess who's getting out today?"

"Gally's nice side?"

"Nope, try again."

"Is it me?"

"Correct!", Leo grinned, adorable dimples poking out. Ruby didn't know much about Leo. Hell, Leo didn't know much about himself for that matter. There were two facts known about Leo: He was the ex boyfriend of Newt, who seemed to look on like a sad puppy, and he was hopelessly in love with Minho. ( Yeah, that's gonna turn into a real shit show later. ) Ruby just thought Newt seemed a bit lonely, not that he was still 'in love' with Leo. But, then again, what did she know? She'd never been in love. Or, if she had, she couldn't remember. She briefly wondered if she had ever been in love, tried to picture a face that would feel as easy to remember as a home address, but she came up short. For a brief second, she thought she remembered a pair of brown eyes, but who they belonged to would remain a mystery. "Aren't you excited?"

Ruby tried to force a grin, but it came out more like a grimace. If she were being honest, no, she was not excited. She liked it better in here than out there with a bunch of boys who whispered behind her back. "No", she finally huffed, blinking up at her friend.

"Well, that's too bad", Leo hummed. He unlocked the makeshift door and offered a hand so that she could get out. But she didn't take it. Instead, Ruby reached out and closed the door. Leo gave her a flat look. "Ru, come on. You have to come out."

Ruby swallowed thickly, staring out the door into the distance. "I don't want to. I like it in here."

Leo sighed, pulling the door open once again. He didn't give her room this time to argue, simply gently easing her out. Ruby stretched, her back cracking. "Now, doesn't that feel better?"

"I guess", she shrugged, nodding towards the walls. "I've been meaning to ask you, what's out there?"

"We don't know", Leo frowned. "Could be nothing, could be something."

"Will you take me out there?", she asked curiously.

Leo's eyes widened, pointing to himself. "Me? No, no way. Sorry babes, you're on your own with that one."

Ruby frowned, looking out towards the walls again. What could possible be out there that no one wanted her to find out about?

March 9, 2019 / April 7, 2019
I couldn't figure out where I
was going with this chapter,
so I decided to just go ahead
and end it here and publish
it. Sorry that it's trash.

EDITED SEPTEMBER 27, 2019