Chapter Thirty-One

"Voices in my head tell me they
know best. Got me on the edge,
they're pushin, pushin. I know
they've got a plan, but the ball's
in my hands."
—Zac Efron, Scream

CONTROL,CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

CONTROL,
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

RUBY WOKE UP to chaos. There was no light streaming through her window per usual. It looked a tad bit hazy. She figured she was just up extremely early and went downstairs.

Downstairs was worse.

She saw countless Gladers running around, terrified. Most of them were pointing up at the sky in fear. Ruby tilted her head up. What she saw had her choking on her own saliva. The sky was just an endless stretch of full gray, unnatural. It stretched on for miles. The sun was nowhere in sight. Not even a star lingered. No pale blue or brilliant oranges. Just a depressing grey. Ruby looked up again, like it should have changed. It didn't. No clouds. No sun. Not even darkness. Just murky gray. It was like someone had flipped a switch and turned the sun off.

Most of the boys were standing around the Box. Ruby glanced at the watch around her wrist. They should have had breakfast by now. Everyone should have been off in the Glade helping out. Instead they were panicking.

But how could the sun just disappear? That was impossible! And why wasn't she terrified?

Ruby found Thomas sort of just standing around. The gears in his head were turning. She knew that he was incredibly brilliant. Of course he would be trying to figure out a solution or explanation already.

She approached him slowly, trying not to startle him by just running up to him. For a moment he didn't acknowledge her, just stated at the sky, so she spoke. "Any ideas?"

Thomas shook his head. "It must have been fake. You can't just... you can't just take away the sun. It's gotta be artificial." That was the only real explanation he had. He couldn't tell her anything more.

Ruby pursed her lips. She too glanced up at the sky. "So, what, they just took away the sky? As what? Punishment?"

Thomas shook his head, looking hesitant. "I think Teresa did it. Or at least she had something to do with it."

"How could Teresa have done this?" Ruby gestured around them for emphasis. Gladers were still panicking. There was hardly any light. "She's half dead, Thomas."

Thomas rapidly shook his head, stammering out an answer. He didn't know how to explain himself without sounding crazy. Maybe he was crazy. Maybe they all were. "I don't — I don't know, but..." He paused, rubbing his temples. "She spoke to me again, last night. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. She said I just triggered the Ending, and then bam! The sun is gone. You can't tell me that's just some kind of... freaky coincidence."