Chapter Eleven

"I don't want a trust fun baby.
I like my women indecent."
—Why Don't We

CONTROL,CHAPTER ELEVEN

CONTROL,
CHAPTER ELEVEN

SHE DIDN'T KNOW why, but working with Clint and Jeff all day had quickly tired her out. Ruby was sure she was never so glad for evening to come. She was dreading getting Thomas's first job, the Blood House. God no. Currently, all the Gladers were taking a well deserved break.

"Well you can have your choice of men, but I could never love again. He's the only one for me, Joleeene. I had to have this talk with you. My happiness depends on you and whatever you decide to do, Joleeene", Ruby was singing softly. Only the people directly around her could hear her, but they all watched her intently. "Jolene. Jolene. Jolene, Joleeeeene. I'm beggin of you, please, don't take my maan. Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Joleeeene. Please don't take him just because you can. Oh, please don't take him even though you can. Oooh, please don't take him even though you can."

Chuck clapped enthusiastically, prompting Ruby to jokingly bow. "Real nice voice you got there, Ruby", one boy said.

"Thank you." Ruby grinned with pride.

"Maybe you were a famous singer", Chuck mused. "Your voice is beautiful."

"Maybe", Ruby chuckled. She leaned against Thomas, who only glanced her way in amusement. She took a brief nap, disappearing into another memory.

"Sometime's love's a scary place, it's like standing in the dark

"Sometime's love's a scary place, it's like standing in the dark. Flyin through the universe, tryin to fix your broken heart", a young girl sang. A boy was right next to her. No, not a boy. Thomas. This boy was Thomas. Her head rested on his chest. They looked like they were hiding. "Let me be your superhero. There isn't a place I won't go. Whenever you need me by your side, I'll be there— be there. Never be afraid if you fall, I'll carry you away from it all. Let me be your superhero. Let me be your super-hero."

"Promise you'll stay forever?"

"I promise."

When Ruby blinked awake again, she was hearing Thomas and Chuck talk about a despaired looking Newt. The boy in question was nervously chewing his thumb. "I can hear every bloody word you guys are sayin", the British boy pointed out.