Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I don't wanna make you nervous, but
it ain't like it used to be, and we got a
lotta people watchin us now."
—Intro III, NF

CONTROL,CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING BLOOD WITH NO VEINS?"

RUBY FELL ASLEEP in an uncomfortable position on the floor. She didn't remember Thomas being next to her, but she was cuddling up to his chest.

It was Alby who came and woke them up. "You shanks ain't dead yet, are yo— Oh." The dark skinned boy was smirking at them. "I mean, if y'all wanna stay in here...", he trailed off teasingly.

Ruby quickly pushed away from Thomas, her cheeks red. "I am so sorry", she said to him.

"Ruby, you don't need to—"

Ruby cut him off. She pushed herself up off the dusty ground and hurried over to the door. "Are you here to let us out? You're here to let us out, right? Please, tell me you're here to let us out, because I am about to go crazy in here and Thomas snores."

"I do not!", Thomas shouted in objection. "That shampoo they sent you bothers my allergies!"

Ruby gave Alby a, 'he's lying' look. "I smell like chocolate when I use it", she whispered. "Wanna smell?"

Alby laughed. Ruby was glad to see he was feeling somewhat better. "No, Ruby, I'm good — I promise", he chuckled. "And yes, I'm here to let you out. Have you two learned your lessons last night", he tsked.

"Yeah, yeah, lesson learned. No going into the Maze — which seems kind of trivial now, because we kind of have to, but whatever", Ruby rambled on. "Now open the door."

Alby did as asked, then turned to look at Thomas, who had been staring at him. Alby looked perfectly normal. His skin was full of color with no prominent veins, and his eyes were no longer bloodshot. He even looked like he gained a little weight back. You would have never known he was sick. "Shuck it, boy, what're you lookin at?"

Thomas shook his head, embarrassed at being caught. "I— Uh— What? Nothing. You just... you healed so quickly! You're fine now?"

Alby flexed his muscles. Ruby rolled her eyes in response. Boys. "Never felt better, Greenie. Come on out now."

You didn't have to tell Ruby twice. She shoved past both boys, shouting about freedom. Thomas shook his head in amusement. "Sorry about her. I think she's got a small space problem. She started buggin, as you guys would say."

Alby nodded. "Can't blame her. Sure you weren't the best company either. Newt says you two haven't been talking."

Thomas chewed the inside of his cheek. "Ruby's nice and great and all that — she's amazing. It's just that she feels something for me that I can't feel for her. And I don't know how to handle it, because I want to know. I need to. I wanna feel whatever that is. I just... can't."