Chapter Thirteen

"If I could go back and change the past, be
a little braver than I had, and bet against
the odds, would I still be lost?"
—Wondering

"If I could go back and change the past, bea little braver than I had, and bet againstthe odds, would I still be lost?"—Wondering

CONTROL,
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"AND WHERE ARE you going?", Thomas asked. Noticing Ruby was about to bolt, he grabbed her shirt collar.

"Minho said our best option was splitting up", Ruby explained.

"And you believed him?", Thomas asked. "Minho also just ran like a dog with his tail between his legs. We're not splitting up."

The noises got louder, signaling it was close. The roar of an engine met Ruby's wars. The smell of burning oil reached them next. Ruby gagged. "Thomas—"

He waved her off, checking Alby's pulse. Still there. Thomas began trying to lift Alby, only to fall. Ruby quickly rushed to his side. Why did she always do that? "Are you okay?" The Grievers got closer, lights flashing.

Thomas nodded. "Help me." He pushed himself up and grabbed Alby's arms. Ruby grabbed his feet. She didn't think she was much help, but here she was. Jeez, Alby was heavy. They once again propped him up on the wall.

"What are you doing?", Ruby whispered as Thomas messed around with the vines. She was afraid to yell again. Scared to attract one of the vicious beasts. The sound of crumpling metal met her ears. The atmosphere was suddenly brighter. Oh no. "Thomas!", she whisper shouted.

He came back down. "Help me tie his arms and legs", he instructed. Ruby thought he sounded insane, but did as told. She worked on his arms while Thomas worked on Alby's feet. Once they were done, Thomas looked over at her. "We have to climb. Can you make it?"

Ruby observed the cracks in the wall, how high it was, before nodding. "I can make it. It's like... rock climbing... without a proper harness." Rock climbing. Had she done that before? Thomas didn't say anything more. The two of them scaled the wall with ease. Once they were above Alby, they began pulling Alby up together.

In this time, the beasts got closer. One of the vines slipped from Ruby's fingers. Because she was off balance, it sent her flying backwards into the wall. Ruby groaned in pain. "Ruby?"

"I'm okay", she reassured, breathless. Ruby grabbed the ivy once more and began pulling. It was tiring, and several times Ruby accidentally dropped Alby. She was sweating now, which didn't help a bit. About thirty feet up, Thomas refused to move again. Part of her was glad. Her arms felt like noodles. Her legs felt rubbery. "You did—", she took a deep breath, "—great."

"I hope... it's enough", Thomas sighed. He could only hope that the Grievers wouldn't look up or couldn't climb. "Alby told Newt... what you said. I didn't mean to listen, but— Ruby, you've gotta know how to fight these things."

Ruby pursed her lips. She should, shouldn't she? Before she could answer, their attention was caught by a beetle blade. A silver cylinder with twelve little legs. The beetle's own eyes cast an eery, red glow over the six little letters on its back, making them look bloody.

WICKED

Neither of them had the chance to speak. The metal screeching grew louder. Something rounded the corner, and, unfortunately, it wasn't Minho. The boy hadn't come back to help them.

It was a Griever.