Chapter Ten

"All the kids are depressed.
Nothin ever makes sense."
—Jeremy Zucker

CONTROL,CHAPTER TEN

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TEN

FEELING BAD FOR abandoning them before, Ruby asked to spend her day with Clint and Jeff. They were nice boys who eagerly welcomed her back with open arms. She was glad of that. It felt nice to feel needed. It felt nice to welcomed. It felt nice to be seen as an equal and not an object. She felt at home — at peace.

"Couldn't stay away, huh?", Clint snickered.

Ruby laughed. "You got me. I just didn't think it was fair that I didn't finish out my day with you guys", she smiled.

"Awe", Jeff pouted, speaking in his unusually high voice. "You mean to tell me it wasn't our charm and good looks?"

"Unfortunately not", Ruby giggled. "So what is it that you do officially?" She was hoping they had a lot in store for her, something to keep Martin's voice from echoing through her mind.

"Not much", Clint shrugged. "Just take care of Anton who's sick or injured. We were taking care of Ben..." He looked sad for a moment. "But I guess now our main focus is the weird girl in a coma."

"What makes her weird?"

Jeff gestured for her to follow. She did. "Keeps mumblin in her sleep. Can't make heads or tails of it", he explained as he led her up the rickety old steps.

They pushed open her door. For a moment, Ruby's gaze lingered on the door that used to belong to Ben. That was before Clint nudged her. She snapped out of her daze, following him inside. "We mostly just try to feed her whatever soups Frypan can cook up."

Frypan may have been the hairiest sixteen year old she'd ever seen, but he could throw down when it came to food she'd give him that. "What's up with the towel?"

"She spikes a fever sometimes. You did too", Jeff explained.

It was Ruby's time to feed the girl. She scowled down at her as she held the bowl of soup. Why did she have to be so pretty? "You're lucky, you know. You don't have to worry about any of this. All you have to do is lay here." Feeding the girl became quite trivial. She took up talking to her in between spoonfuls. The dark haired girl never once moved.

The rest of the day passed without event. She bandaged a few fingers and helped with a few tummy aches. All the while, she wished she were in a better place.

DECEMBER 12, 2019sorry about all the short filler chapters! justtrying to slow things down a bit

DECEMBER 12, 2019
sorry about all the short filler chapters! just
trying to slow things down a bit. (: