Chapter Twenty

"Geniuses, lower your voices. You keep out of
trouble and you double your chances. I'm with
you, but the situation is fraught. You've got to
be carefully taught. If you talk, you're gonna
get shot!"
—My Shot, From Hamilton

 If you talk, you're gonnaget shot!"—My Shot, From Hamilton

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TWENTY

RUBY WAS NOT happy. Rightfully so. The first and only thing she'd done that morning was sit in a chair. The Keepers were arranged in a semicircle around her and Thomas. This was different from when she'd been attacked by Martin. She wasn't being protected this time. One of the chairs was empty. It must have been Alby's. Ruby couldn't help but to stare at it sadly.

They were in the Homestead. In the large room there were only chairs, and a small table in the corner. She hadn't exactly tried to look at it the last time. There were no windows. The place smelled rotten. As rotten as she felt.

"In place of our leader, sick in bed, I declare this Gathering begun", Newt said. He rolled his eyes. It was like he was done with this already. Ruby didn't blame him. "As you all know, the last few days have been bloody crazy, and quite a bit of it has been centered around our two Greenies, Thomas and Ruby."

"Technically, Tere— the other girl is the Greenie now", Ruby mumbled.

"Quiet, Ruby", Newt chastised. He looked tired already. "I'm not in a very cheerful mood, and I want this to be over and done with as soon as possible." He'd rather not be doing it at all, if he were honest.

Ruby slouched in her seat. However, that didn't make her any less defiant and argumentative. She was still as feisty as ever. It would take a lot to make Ruby shut up if she didn't want to. That was a fact she recently remembered about herself. "So, what, we're supposed to just sit here and let them make accusations about us? And not defend ourselves? That's a load of bullshit", the girl huffed. "I have a right to defend myself under the First Amendment."

Newt looked irritated, the poor thing. Between dealing with her and Gally, he would certainly have his hands full that day. The boy sighed. "Not another word, Ruby", he said slowly, like he were talking to a child. She pouted, but didn't speak again. She and Thomas spared each other a glance. Her heart ached. Newt rolled his eyes once more. "We're here because almost every lovin kid in the Glade has come up to me in the last few days either boohooing about Thomas and Ruby or beggin for their bloody hands in marriage. We need to decide what to do with them."

Ruby opened her mouth. Newt pointed at her. "No." Ruby sat back with a huff. Newt cut Gally off next. "You'll jace your chance, Gally. One at a time. And you two are not allowed to say a buggin thing until we ask you to. Good that?" Thomas nodded. Ruby crossed her arms and looked away. Newt must have took that as agreement. "Zart the Fart, you start."