Chapter Four

"They say life is a race, I knew
my problems would catch up
with me eventually."
—NF; Therapy Session

"—NF; Therapy Session

CONTROL,
CHAPTER FOUR

Alby had Ruby working in the garden. She didn't mind, it was peaceful. The boys were more accepting now that she had agreed to behave. She was out late that day, watching the Runners come back. Ruby wiped the sweat from her forehead after stabbing the shovel into the ground, grabbing her basket.

She got several hellos as she made her way through the Glade, basket in hand. With her messy curls pulled into an even messier braid, she was quite the sight to behold, dirty from a day of work. "Fry, I got more vegetables", she mumbled.

"You work really hard, Rue, take a break", the dark skinned boy frowned, taking the basket from her.

"Nothin else to do", Ruby shrugged. Besides, it felt like that's what she was supposed to be doing. Working. Maybe not here, but somewhere. So she would do what she could until she figured out where she belonged. "Anything else?"

"Ruby, I mean it, take a break", Frypan ordered.

Ruby huffed, but she did quit pestering him for more to do. She really wished there was a lake somewhere close by right about now. She had the faintest memory of swimming in the ocean, the salty waves lapping at her skin and easing her mind, taking away all her worries. She desperately needed that right about now. Perhaps she had loved swimming, whoever she was before.

For now though, she'd just settle for finding a way to get herself clean. She felt uncomfortable around almost everyone there still, except Leo and a young boy she'd met named Chuck.

While Ruby was undoing her messy braid, setting under a large tree, she was approached by Newt. She hadn't talked to him much. He was a tall and lanky boy with sandy colored hair who spoke with a thick, British accent. His small, brown eyes held kindness though, so she wasn't too worried. "Ruby, how are ya?"

"I'm good", Ruby responded hesitantly, full lips curving upwards into a small smile. "Be even better when the boys stop treating me like an artifact in a museum though."

"That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about", the young Brit sighed, taking a seat next to her. She wondered if that were easy to do, with the slight limp he had. "We think it'd be better, at least for now, if you slept in the Homestead with us. Usually it's just me, Alby, and the Keepers, but given the circumstances... Well, Minho heard some of the guys talking earlier and... Reckon they'd like to get their hands on ya now that you've calmed down and all, hurt you..."

Ruby stifled a laugh, placing her hand on the boy's boney shoulder. "You don't have to explain, I can see how awkward this is for you. One of you still owes me a tour though, all I know is the garden."