Chapter Seven

"Somethin big, I feel it happening,
out of my control. Push and pull
and then it's grabbing me, feel it
in my bones like."
—Shawn Mendes; Something Big

"—Shawn Mendes; Something Big

CONTROL,
CHAPTER SEVEN

THE ENTIRE TIME Ruby was asleep, her eyes darted around behind her lids — up, down, side to side. She mumbled things that didn't make sense. W.I.C.K.E.D. Thomas. No! Gally, wait! What did you do?

Ruby sat up with a gasp, drinking in large, greedy Hilo's of air. For a moment her vision remained blurred before she rubbed them. Blinking a few times, it was like having a camera snap into focus. Newt, Chuck, and Gally were around her. Thomas was there too, holding her hand.

Alby entered the room with a wet towel, sighing in relief. "You're awake, girl? Good."

Ruby furrowed her brows, feeling groggy. "How long was I—"

"Just two days", Alby said. "Figured it was just somethin goin on with you girls, but the other one is still out."

"You were calling all of us", Newt explained. "Worried ys all pretty bad. Wouldn't shut up till we made Thomas lay with you." He stepped forward, leaning in. "Ruby, what's going on?"

Ruby bit her lip. Things had just gotten significantly weird. It was like... she could sort through some of her memories now, but she couldn't take it too fast. She couldn't force it, or it would just fade away again. "I think whatever they did to my memory is starting to... go away? But if I try to hold onto the memories, they just snap out of reach."

Alby pursed his lips, looking deep in thought. "If you remember anything useful, even the tiniest of things, you better—"

"Tell you, I know", Ruby nodded. "Believe me, I will. None of it makes sense yet, give me some time." She face Thomas a pointed look, and he quickly dropped her hand. She just didn't feel comfortable being touched right now.

"Do you know why we're here?", Gally asked, speaking up for the first time. "Are we, like, criminals or something?"

Ruby quickly shook her head. "We're not bad. I think we're... special?" She pursed her lips, swinging her legs over the bed. "Can I get to work now?"

The boys seemed to be stunned for a moment. Alby eventually shook his head. "No, somebody find Clint and Jeff." Newt left.

The Med-jacks ordered Ruby to rest for a few hours and then see how she felt. Chuck came for visit. He'd brought her food and water. She was grateful for that, but the longer she stayed in bed the more time she had to think. Ruby hated that. Eventually after begging some more, hours after she'd done nothing but lay around, Alby and Clint cleared her. Not without a price though. Gally was forced to babysit her.