Chapter Twenty-One

"Their tears are filling up their
glasses, no expression."
—Mad World

CONTROL,CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

SILENCE FILLED THE room. Ruby was sure that the tension was so thick, you could cut it with a knife. For a long while, no one said anything. "That's ridiculous!", Gally finally shouted. "He should be kicked off the Council for saying something so stupid!"

"Shut up, no one asked you shit!", Ruby hissed. She looked over at the dark haired boy next to her. Not a peep came from Thomas. "Thomas can do it. He's smart. Like, insanely smart. And intuitive. And strong. I know I don't get a vote, but Minho is right. Thomas would be the best person for the job, and I know that you all know this. Even you, Gally."

Frypan was clapping, along with a few others. Winston was mumbling something that no one could hear, shaking his head. She still wanted to punch him in the lip. Meanwhile, the entire group began talking at once. It was starting to make Ruby's head hurt. For a bunch of geniuses, they were all stupid. Didn't they know that talking and shouting all at once got them nowhere? Nowhere at all?

Next to her, Thomas leaned down and rested his head in his hands. She couldn't tell if he was frightened or grateful. Either way, she leaned over and rubbed his back. He glanced over at her. "I believe in you", she whispered. She did. She truly did. Thomas smiled in appreciation, sitting back up.

Newt must have had enough, because suddenly he was screaming at everyone to shut up. He'd even discarded his notepad and stood in the semicircle. "Suck it. I've never seen so many shanks actin like teat-suckin babies. Maybe we don't look like it, but we're adults around here. Act like it, or we'll disband this entire bloody council and start over from scratch." Newt took his time to walk around and look them all in the eye. "Are we clear?" No one spoke. They eventually all nodded. "Good that." He then retook his seat. For a second the only sound to be heard was him scratching out some lines. "That's some pretty serious klunk, brother. Sorry, but you need to talk it up to move forward", he said, looking at Minho.

Minho looked even more exhausted than before. Still, he defended himself. "It's easy for you all to sit here and talk about something you're stupid on. I'm the only Runner in this group, and the only other one here who's even been out in the Maze is Newt."

"Not if you count the time I—"

Minho was quick to cut Gally off. "I don't!", he shouted. "And, believe me, none of you have the slightest clue what it's like to be out there. The only reason you were stung is because you broke the same rule you're accusing them of. That's called hypocrisy, you shuck-faced piece of—"

"Enough", Newt interrupted. "Defend your proposal and be done with it."

Ruby was sure that the tension could be cut with a knife. "Anyways, listen to me", Minho said, dropping his staring contest with Gally. He retook his seat. "I've never seen anything like it. They weren't scared. They didn't panic or whine or cry. They were the ones encouraging me.

"They've been here barely a few weeks, and they were toughing it out. Meanwhile we were all here cryin and not trusting each other. Not even a week after being here, he stepped out there to save two shanks he barely knows." He stood and pointed at Thomas before gesturing towards Ruby. "And she cared about him so much that she ran right behind him. All this talk about rule breaking is stupid. No one even told them the rules yet. We did tell them how dangerous it was out there, and they still went. Because we needed help." Minho paused, taking a deep breath. "I gave up and left Alby for dead, and I was the one who had experience and knowledge. They shouldn't have questioned it, but they did. Think about how much effort it must have took for them to pull Alby up that wall. It's psycho. It's fucking crazy."

"And they still didn't stop! I told them to split up. And they did, but Ruby took that Griever off Thomas's ass to save him and Alby. She didn't even know if she was right! Or if it would stop! She saved my ass and got Stung in the process, and even still she tried to hold on. And Thomas here had the plan to save Alby and—"

"We get it. They're lucky", Gally interrupted.

Minho turned around. "No, you worthless shuck, you don't get it. I've been here two years, and I've never seen anything like it. For you to say anything..." Minho paused and rubbed his eyes. No doubt the poor boy was still tired, and probably frustrated. "Gally, you're nothing but a sissy who has never, not once, asked to be a Runner or tried our for it. You don't have any he right to talk about things you don't understand, so shut your mouth", Minho said calmly.

Gally was pissed. "Say one more thing like that and I'll break your neck!", he shouted, standing up.

Minho laughed dryly. He raised his palm and pushed Gally's face. Proving that Minho was stronger, Gally fell back into his chair, which tipped over and broke. Before Gally could get up, Minho slammed his foot into his back.

Ruby stood up, but Thomas eased her back down. Sure, she and Gally may have been on opposing teams at that moment, but she still cared about him.

"I swear, Gally", Minho sneered, "don't ever threaten me again. Don't ever speak to me again. Ever. If you do, I'll break your shuck neck, right after I'm done with your arms and legs."

Newt and Winston jumped up to grab Minho, pulling him off of Gally. The latter jumped, enraged. He didn't attack though. He just stood there, chest heaving. Finally, he left. Ruby stood, not wanting the boy to leave angry and filled with hatred, but Thomas once again grabbed her. "Just let him go."

"Things are different now", Gally said, spitting on the floor. Ruby was more than a little disgusted. "You shouldn't have done that, Minho. You should not have done that." He looked crazed as he turned to Newt. "I know you hate me. You've always hated me. You should be Banished for your embarrassing inability to lead this group. You're shameful, and any one of you who stays here is no better. Things are going to change. This, I promise." Ruby did not want to make an enemy out of Gally. The boy yanked the door open, but he turned to Thomas one final time. "And you — don't forget that I've seen you before. I've been through the Changing. What they decide doesn't mean jack." He looked at them all. Then back at Thomas. "Whatever you came here for — I swear on my life I'm gonna stop it. Kill you if I have to."

With that he left. His chilling words still hung in the air. She wasn't cold, but Ruby shivered.

 She wasn't cold, but Ruby shivered

DECEMBER 14, 2019