Chapter Thirty-Five

"All I really wanna say is that they don't really care about us."
—Michael Jackson, They Don't Care About Us

"—Michael Jackson, They Don't Care About Us

CONTROL,
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

"BEAT ME, HURT ME, YOU CAN NEVER BREAK ME."

"GALLY?", RUBY CALLED softly. "What are you doing here? Do you need help? The boy looked like he'd gone insane. Like he'd seen something horrific. He was dirty, his clothes raggedy. He didn't answer her, instead he sank down to his knees and didn't move. His breathing was heavy. He looked around like a rabid animal, waiting to make his attack.

Several other groups of boys came to stand out in the hall as well, looking at Gally in fear and morbid curiosity.

Ruby approached Gally, but he suddenly shouted and she jumped back. She barely believed that he was really standing there until he shouted. "They'll kill you", he screamed, spit flying from his mouth. "The Grievers will kill you all — one every night till it's over!" Gally struggled to stand up, dragging his right leg behind him. What had happened to him? No one moved, all too stunned. It seemed like they were all more afraid of Gally than they were of the monsters that lurked outside. "You", he sneered, pointing his bloody finger at Thomas. "It's all your fault!" Gally swung his left fist, punching Thomas directly in his ear. The unsuspecting boy cried out and fell to the ground, but got back up quickly.

Newt shoved Gally, causing the boy to fall into the desk. The lamp that rested there crashed to the ground, shattering to pieces.

One would think Gally would attack again, but he only stared at them with a crazed look in his eyes. "Gally", Ruby swallowed thickly. "What's wrong? What did you?" She took a tentative step forward.

"Shut up!", he roared. Ruby immediately closed her eyes, stepping back. When he spoke again, Gally's voice was scarily quiet. "It can't be solved", he said, sounding distant. "The shuck Maze'll kill all you shanks...! The Grievers'll kill you... one every night till it's over... I... It's better this way..." He spoke slowly, looking down at the ground. "They'll only kill you one a night... their stupid variables."

Newt stepped towards him. "Gally, shut your bloody hole. There are Grievers right outside the windows. Just sit down and be quiet, maybe it'll go away."

Gally looked up then, his eyes narrowed like he'd been offended. "You don't get it, Newt. You're too stupid — you always been stupid!", he roared.

"Gally, please, calm down", Ruby said quietly, trying to keep her voice calm. "Let us help you. Tell us what's wrong, so we can—"

"There's no way out!", Gally screamed suddenly. "There's no way to win! They're gonna kill you, all of you, one by one!" The last word was screamed. Gally ran towards the window and began digging at the boards like a rabid dog trying to break free of a cage.