Chapter Eight

"And even now I lie awake knowing that
history has its eyes on me."
—Christopher Jackson

CONTROL,CHAPTER EIGHT

CONTROL,
CHAPTER EIGHT

"AND WHAT HAVE you created to ensure the boys stay in the Maze, Ruby?", Ava Paige asked. The older woman eyed one of her favorites expectantly. She tapped her fingers against the table.

Ruby pulled up the grotesque image on her tablet, turning it around to show the woman the creature's design. Instead of trying to explain, she whined. "Why can't I work on the Maze with Thomas and Teresa?"

"You can", Ava said, waving a hand dismissively. "Eventually. Right now I need your brilliant little mind for something else."

"But, mother—"

Ava was quick to snap at the little mixed girl, her tone sharp. "I told you never to call me that here." Ruby slouched down in her seat. "I'm not your mother anymore, Ruby. You have to remember that. You were born to be here, not to be my child. Now, show me how this thing works."

"She—"

"Don't give it a gender", Ava ordered.

"It is fully weaponized. It..."

Frypan was not impressed to find Ruby sitting on the floor of the kitchen

Frypan was not impressed to find Ruby sitting on the floor of the kitchen. He'd gotten up early, like he always did, to start dinner for the rest of the Gladers and there she was. Ruby was happily munching on her third peanut butter and jelly sandwich. She offered Frypan a sheepish smile. The boy crossed his arms, unamused. "You can't go stealing all my rations, now."

Ruby couldn't help it. That dream, that memory, had startled her awake. And she was hungry. Still though, she felt sick too. Her own mother had turned her into a test subject. She didn't even care. Ruby's heart lurched. Why didn't she want her? Had she failed? Or did she just never want her? Did she just give birth to her to use her this way? Or was the woman even her real mother?

Ruby's head hurt thinking about it.

Frypan sat next to her, raising a brow. "Penny for your thoughts?"

Ruby shook her head. "My thoughts are horrifying."

Frypan nudged her. "Come on, what's on your mind?" Ruby didn't answer. The boy frowned. "Seriously, Ru, what's eatin ya?"

"Martin", she lied. That was only half of it. No, not even half. That was about... 1/6th of it. Still, part of her felt disgusting. Part of her still felt humiliated. He had touched her, and she couldn't stop it. Ruby drew her knees up to her chest. "I feel so used and weak."

"You're not used or weak. Think you're the strongest girl I know, dealin with us all. But then again, you are the only live girl I know. Point is, I know you aren't weak. You're strong, and courageous, and kinda mean. A little scary too", Frypan said reassuringly. For a second, he chuckled. He patted her shoulder. "Tell ya what, do some exercise. That always makes people feel powerful — I think. I'm no advice giver. Steal some chocolate, I think girls like that."

Ruby snorted in amusement. And then she was laughing. Laughing. It was a pretty solid try though, for a boy. At least he had tried, right? That was all anyone could do. Try. "You exercise?" She was only teasing, of course.

"Ha-ha, very funny", Frypan said flatly. "Keep laughing." Ruby grinned. "No breakfast for you today."

"Oh, come on!"

"No. You just sat in here and ate three sandwiches, and you didn't even eat the crusts!"

"The crusts are gross!"

Frypan rolled his eyes, nudging her. "Go on now, git."

"Can I at least have a glass of milk?", she asked hopefully.

"Hell no", the boy snorted. Ruby pouted as she was shoved outside, the door slamming behind her.

She grinned as she went around to the front. The boy looked amused. It was like he'd been expecting her to come around front and be annoying. "Why do they call you Frypan?"

"Cause it sounds better than Siggy. Short for—"

"Sigmund", they chorused together.

Ruby grinned, patting the table. "Thanks for the talk, Fry."

Frypan had encouraged her. Ruby ran back up to her room and got dressed. A simple t shirt and leggings with sneakers. That basket was sure coming in handy.

"I'm gonna get strong", she whispered to herself. "I'm gonna get strong so no one can hurt me again."

She felt like she must have exercised a lot before. The stretches came naturally to her. She was unaware that at some point she even did a bit of yoga. The first exercises she did were simple. Torso turns. Planking. Squats. Lunges. Eventually she moved to up downs and pushups. Sit ups. That bored her too though. She moved on to punching and kicking at the air. Apparently, she got fancy with it. Ruby had launched herself into the air, her body twisting in a spinning kick that almost took poor Gally's head off.

"Whoa", he said, stumbling back. "Good morning to you too then", he scowled.

"Sorry", Ruby said sheepishly. "Guess I got a bit carried away. Did you know I'm crazy flexible? Like, seriously. Look at this." Ruby raised her right leg completely above her head without assistance. She even pointed her toe. With a grin, the girl grabbed her foot. "Sick, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, real nice", Gally chuckled. "It'll be time for work soon."

"Mmhm."

After Gally left, Ruby decided to go for a run. It's not like she had many places to choose from as far as places went, so she decided to do laps around the Homestead. She didn't know how long ran she for, but Minho and the other Runners stopped to look at her for a second. She took a few breaks. Eventually Ruby had attracted quite the crowd. However, Alby eventually came and got on to all of them, ordering them to get back to work. They did. For the first time in forever, Ruby's mind felt clear.

DECEMBER 12, 2019so I'm sick 🙃 ANYGAY, Gally and Ruby will have avery different relationship than most MCs have with himand I realized I should have developed it more

DECEMBER 12, 2019
so I'm sick 🙃 ANYGAY, Gally and Ruby will have a
very different relationship than most MCs have with him
and I realized I should have developed it more. I
apologize for that. There's another note about this on
Ch. 35 because that's when I realized it. Sorry, y'all.