Chapter Eighteen

"Have I gone mad?"
"I'm afraid so. You're absolutely bonkers.
But, I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."
—Alice In Wonderland

CONTROL,CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CONTROL,
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

THOMAS WAS THE first person Ruby saw. He'd stayed with her the entire time. It had hurt his heart, honestly. To watch he'd be in pain like that... He never wanted to see something like that again. At least not to Ruby. Not his Ruby. He felt awful. She'd only gone out there following him. He was hoping that she didn't go crazy like Ben. The thought made him sick.

However, when she blinked up at him, she seemed abnormally fine. He was glad to not have to hear her screams anymore. Hearing someone you cared about scream bloody murder while all you could do was watch them was awful. He couldn't even explain why he cared. He just did. Thomas wished he had his memories back. Maybe he could figure this out. Maybe he could figure this all out. If only he could remember...

"Hey, sleepyhead", he greeted, interrupting his own train of thoughts. "Welcome back to planet Earth."

Ruby smiled tiredly, lifting a hand to her forehead. "Hi. How long have you been here?"

"Uh... what's today?", the boy joked. Ruby looked appalled. "Sorry. I stayed the whole time. I just wanted to make sure you were alright", he said sheepishly. "Okay, maybe not the whole time. They had to patch me up first. And I tried to go see Alby, but Newt wouldn't let me. He was pretty adamant, actually."

Ruby shook her head, almost in disappointment. She grinned softly at him. Out of habit, she reached up and placed a hand on his cheek. Her thumb brushed over his skin. She felt sad that he no longer had the memories that she did. Every touch. Every kiss. The first time they held hands. Sneaking out to see each other. Ruby's fingers trailed over the cuts and bruises visible to her, being gentle around bandages. "I'm glad you're okay", she whispered.

"Me? I'm glad you're okay. Minho told me what you did, you know. I'm sorry I missed you being all bad ass."

Ruby snorted. "It was stupid. Most of it was adrenaline. Besides, if I hadn't done all that I wouldn't have been pricked by that stupid thing."

Thomas seemed to remember something then. "When you came up in the Box, you knew me..." He trailed off, as if searching for the right words. "I'm sure you remember now. So... what were we?"

Ruby shook her head. "If I asked you if you've ever been in love, you could say no... I can't. I can't say no", she whispered.

At first Thomas looked lost. Then it seemed to hit him. "Oh." Oh indeed. Ruby's stomach growled before he said anything more. Having nothing but soups must have sucked for her body. "Right, you must be starving. I'm gonna go get you some food and water." With that he left, leaving her to her own devices.