Chapter Twenty-Five

"And then I try to leave, but,
baby, I just can't stay mad at you."
—Why Don't We, Mad At You

CONTROL,CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

CONTROL,
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

RUBY HAD HAD a long day. An exceptionally long day. She was so ready to just go to her room and relax. But first she needed food. Okay actually, first she needed a shower.

Ruby went and took a shower quickly. She'd made Gally come stand watch this time. They were still pissed off at each other, but he'd done it begrudgingly.

Ruby exited the showers feeling refreshed. Her muscles still screamed in agony, but she was clean at least. She put her hair up into a ponytail as she walked. "Thank you, Gally", Ruby grinned.

"Yeah, yeah." He may have been trying to act tough, but he was grinning. "You're welcome. Are we good now?"

Ruby pretended to think about it now. She even went so far as to tap her chin. She tilted her head. "I don't know, I may need you to beg a little bit."

"Just a little bit?", Gally asked, amused.

Ruby grinned. "Just a little." She held her pinched fingers before holding out her hand. "Yeah, we're good."

Gally ignored her hand and pulled her into a hug. "Just promise me you'll be safe, okay?"

Ruby chuckled. "Yeah, yeah. I'll be safe. I always am."

"Really now?" Gally arched a brow. "Like when you ran into the Maze?"

"Shut it", Ruby huffed. "That was different."

"No, it wasn't. It really wasn't", Gally snickered.

Like a child, she stuck her tongue out at him. Leo came running up to her, tackling her gown to the ground. "Leo!"

"My bad", the boy grinned. "I got bored." Ruby shook her head.

Gally squatted down next to him. His movements were stiff and robotic. It was as if he suddenly wasn't himself. Ruby didn't know what was going on, but she didn't like it. "I've gotta go for a bit. I don't — something is going on", he said awkwardly, his voice blank. "I just wanted to tell you, because I don't know if something is going on or... If I'll see you again. Like this I mean, where I can talk to you."

"Gally, what's—" With that, the boy walked away stiffly.

Leo and Ruby shared a look. With that, the two of them shrugged. Leo grinned. "You wanna go grab some lunch?"

Ruby pretended to think before nodding. "Abraham kicked my ass last minute. After all that, I could eat a horse."

Leo helped her up and the two made their way over to Frypan. Leo rested his elbows on the little window to look at Fry. "Got anything left back there? Ruby says she could eat a horse." Ruby snickered. Leo had absolutely no filter. He just said what he was thinking or repeated what he'd heard. She loved him all the same.