Chapter Sixteen

"It doesn't matter who hurt you, or broke
you down. What matters is who made you
smile again."

CONTROL,CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CONTROL,
CHAPTER SIXTEEN

BY THE TIME they found Thomas, Ruby was beginning to feel as sick as a dog. Minho had her lean against the cool wall while he waited for Thomas. His plan was to grab the boy when he ran by. If he ran by. In the meantime, he looked concerned. "You okay?"

Ruby nodded. It felt like it took all her energy. "Fine", she whispered, her throat scratchy. "Why's it so hot out here?"

Minho touched her forehead. "Shuck, you're burning up. Surprised you lasted this long. Don't worry, Ruby. I'll getcha outta her, promise. I won't run this time."

She was barely able to hold herself up now, slouching down every few seconds. Minho had to keep lifting her up. Ruby felt horrible. Not only did they have Alby, but she'd gone and gotten Stung too. That would make everything twice as difficult. "I'm sorry. You should just leave me. I'll only slow you guys down."

"Don't you start talking like a klunk-head", Minho chastised immediately. "You were the one doing all that talk about not giving up. And now look at you. Whining and wanting to quit", he scoffed. "Well, that's too bad. You brought me to my senses. I won't leave you behind. I can't. We don't do that. It's not in our code." Ruby snorted out a laugh. Where was that code earlier when he had panicked? "Plus, I can't explain it, but I think Thomas'd skin me alive if that happened."

Ruby smiled softly, or at least she tried to. Speak of the Devil. Thomas came running by, and Minho yanked him in. At first the boy began to struggle, trying to fight his way out, but he calmed when he saw it was only Minho. "What—"

"No time for talking", Minho interrupted. He scooped Ruby up into his arms. They had been resting there for quite some time, so he was more prepared to carry her than Thomas was. At least she wasn't like Alby. While the boy had been dead weight, Ruby was able to hang on and shift herself if necessary. "Shut up and follow me!"

"What happened to Ruby?", Thomas asked, confused. He knew he shouldn't have left her alone.

Minho shook his head. Then he tsked. "She got stung shaving me. Dumb girl."

"I'm sick, not dead", Ruby grumbled, her eyes half open. "I can hear you, stupid."

"This is why I didn't want us to split up!", Thomas exclaimed as they ran.

"My favorite musicians... are... Michael Jackson... New Kids On The Block... *NSYNC... The Backstreet Boys... and New Edition... make The Creators... play that at my funeral", Ruby mumbled. She was basically talking out of her ass at that point. Maybe it was the fever getting to her.