Chapter 4 : Dealing with a passing grade.

I don't see Alexander for a whole week after that day. He's been missing from class alongside Cole and River.

We had a science assignment we needed to submit this week and with him gone, it means only MY grade will be counted and I am overjoyed. I don't know where he is, but he should skip classes for the remaining of the year if you ask me.

I'm not worried. In fact I'm rather hopeful. Who knows, maybe he got Meningitis and died and I can finally get Emily back.

I was in the lab during chemistry class; heavily focused on my Iodine Clock reaction when I noticed Mister Henderson grading our science assignments at his desk. And before you ask, yes, he teaches both science AND Chemistry. I got Alexander as my partner on both classes.

I think you can gather how life is slowly draining away from me by just looking into my eyes. 

Suddenly, I spot a tiny frown on Mister Henderson, he then looks my way, our eyes meet for a second then he shake his head while looking down again.

I get this spasm in my abdomen and I just feel that something's about to go down. Really hard. 

When the bell rings, I make my way to the door but I hear him call out to me from behind his desk.

"is there a problem mister Henderson"  I asked filled with mild dread while approaching him.

"your lab partner has been missing for the last seven days or so..."   he says, taking off his glasses and looking up to me.

"Yes, I noticed that when I realized my chest pains were gone"   I responded.

"You may want to drop the attitude, miss Spencer, turns out your partner submitted his assignment by Email and both your grades will be taken into account after all"

That's when the chest pains came back rushing through.

"come again?"   I ask, about to hyperventilate.

"You had an A+, but his work earned him a D-, therefore, you both get a collective C+"

God left.

You might be thinking, a C+? It's not that bad. You're overreacting, Alexa!

You don't get it. I HAD AN A+. I was going to have an A+ until the idiot decided to ruin it.

A passing grade? Might as well drop out and become a stay at home mom. I've never HAD a C in my entire life.

I take a deep breath and I feel my knees getting weak. I'm legitimately beginning to tear up and feel like the universe is conspiring to make me stay under Markus's regime for the remaining of my life.

"Mister Henderson, this is the worst course of events to arise in the history of Homo sapiens."

I totally mean what I'm saying. Malaria can't trump this.

"Please calm down, I called you over for a reason"   he says calmly and I'm all ears.

Please tell me you realize the importance of capitalism now. I look at him impatiently and he puts his pen down.

"Since I know how hard you worked on it, I will give you a chance to earn an extra credit.."

I'm about to apply some chap stick so I can kiss his ass like no one ever did at that moment.