Laying down some rules

Chapter 6

It was finally the weekend which meant that I had to work today. Having three jobs while attending school, not to mention taking care of my three year old baby girl can be pretty hectic at times. The nanny finally arrived and I was running late for work.

"Oh thank god Emma you're here, I'm running late and I'll have your pay by tonight. Thanks for doing this, I don't know what I would do without your help."

Emma is in college and a really good friend of mine. She offered to watch Rosie for an affordable price.

"Honestly it's no problem Lina, so where is the little munchkin?" She asked as I was putting on my shoes getting ready to leave.

"She's napping, but she will wake up pretty soon. I have her green smoothie in the fridge, she's having some digestion problems right now. Well you know what to do so I better get going." I rushed out of the door and started the car.

As expected I was a little late for work. I ran towards the building only to be greeted by my very angry boss.

"Lina you're late again. This is the fourth time you've been late, that's very unprofessional, I've been nice enough to let it slide every time but this just can't keep going on. I should just fire you!" He said

"No please Mr.Jensen I need this job. Don't fire me please" I couldn't stand the fact that I am begging for a job that doesn't even pay their employees minimum wage. 

Naturally He didn't even bother to look my way, as he stomped away and I visibly wipe the sweat off my forehead before heading into the locker rooms to change into my uniform. 

God this is embarrassing, I hung my head low and pretty much was internally beating myself up for setting down my pride for this measly job. I was  lost in thought, I didn't even hear my coworker Janet come in. 

"Hey Lina, Mr.Jensen wanted to see you." I nodded in understanding as I am tying my apron across my waist and walked towards his office. I don't know what the outcome was going to be but I am hoping he's not letting me go. 

As I knocked on his office door, I heard him calling out for me to enter. As he motioned me to take a seat. I sat there in silence for a couple of seconds. Waiting for him to say something. 

"Well Lina give me one good reason why I should even let you keep your job" I don't even want this job. Why should I bother giving an explanation. Isn't this against some sort of policy?

"I have a daughter I need to support. I know I come late and you have every right to fire me, but I really need this job. " I said gritting my teeth. Pride = Gone. 

He was surprised by my answer. But I figured he would at least understand since he is also a father. I can't expect much from this man that doesn't give two shit about any of his employees wellbeing, cause all he cares about is that there is money in his hands at the end of the day.

"I didn't know you had a child" he said. You can see that he was in deep thought but he seemed evidently relaxed. 

"Indeed I do. She's three."

"How come this is the first time I'm hearing about this?" I was starting to get annoyed, so I simply just answered

"Well, with all due respect I dont think I am obligated to mention anything regarding my personal life. I felt like there was no reason to as long as I come into work and I do what I am supposed to. There is absolutely no reason why I should even mention anything because I set aside my personal life from my professional life. Not like it should matter anyways since It is inappropriate and can be used as discrimination.  " I said confidently.