Chapter 15

Hell for a home

Efua POV

I looked sadly at the paper. I wanted to leave and never return! I wanted to run and never look back, but if I do, this reminder of the promise I made to dad will forever hunt me.

This is the first thing dad was asking of me, even though it was going to rub me of my whole being. The truth remains that whether I run away or stay to carry out dad's wish, my life will still be miserable anyway, so, why run?

At least let me die under the watchful eyes of my family enemies I acquired by fate! If peradventure, they refuse to bury me, my smell will force them to. More so, this is a contract of six months anyway.

If I should die before the end of it, I would only be responding to one of the rules of life - 'as long as one was born, one must surely die'.

....Flash back...

The whole family had gathered to hear Efua's stand in all of these since she was the only person allowed to take a decision. Though the family were so sure of her response, yet they all gathered to her say 'no' to all of these.

Efua, please can you tell us your stand in all of these? Barr. Mark questioned.

There was silence.

Do not keep us waiting! Efeosa shouted at Efua.

I...will.. Efua stuttered

Speak up! Ese ordered.

That was what she was doing miss Ese! Barr. Mark intervened angrily. The question was directed at miss Efua. So the rest of us are expected to listen while she speaks! So let's maintain some decorum please!

Miss Efua kindly continue what you were saying. Barr. Mark ordered Efua.

Thank you sir. As I was saying, 'I.. will..ehh..go ahead with..the..the contract marriage. Efua said under her breath.

What? Efeosa and Ese chorused. So you are not only a proustite, but also a gold digger? Ese question Efua almost slapping Efua but Efua held her hand. 'I am not finished yet'. Efua said dropping Ese's hand roughly.

I am doing this for dad. You all are entitled to whatever you think. After six months, I will be out of your lives forever!

So please, let me fulfill dad's last wish for me. And as for you Efeosa, you're not going to be bound by this marri...

Miss Efua please let me take it from here Barr. Mark said standing up from where he sat holding a paper.

Here are the guidelines for this marriage as drawn by your late father..

If Efua ever accepts this contract, the following rules shall govern their union!

1). They (Efua and Efeosa) must live together in my house at GRA as a couple, together with Ese for the first month of their union. After which Ese will move out to occupy the doctor's lodge for easy running of the hospital.

2) No law is bidding them in this union. By this, I mean that they're free to do whatever they wish in this marriage as long as they live under the same roof.

3) My Darling wife is not allowed to visit them except on invitation or permission from Efua.

4) Efua shall work under the supervision of Efeosa as his Personal Assistant and will be paid on monthly basis.

5). Efua is free to walk out of this contract marriage at any time.

To My Darling wife, you're to go on vacation immediately after the marriage is done because you and Ese shall be witnesses of these union.

Good luck everyone!!!

The living room was dead silent when Barr. Mark finished. Where was all these leading to?

******†******

Omoye has been particularly quiet since all these started. She just sat there staring at some blank space with tears rolling down her cheek freely.

She just couldn't make any sense out of all these? For the first time in her marriage with Osas, she felt as though she never really knew him.

How could he do all of these all alone without involving her? Or did she refuse him audience when he wanted to tell her?

Even in her pain and feeling of betrayal by the man she called her husband, she still found herself excusing him.

The whole marriage thing was the most difficult puzzle. The rules Osas laid down made it more confusing.

And Efua, she seem to be comfortable with all of these.

Well, Osas, I do not know what you had in mind when you came up with all of these but I think you made a big mistake in your last rule:Efua is free to walk out of this contract marriage at any time. Because I shall make sure of that.

She doesn't belong here. More so, as my daughter in law. Never! But I must do this with caution.

I must make Efua believe that I now love and accept her because I would need her permission to see my son, how funny Osas!

Oh Osas, for years I have loved you and had believed that you loved me too, how wrong I was! I now struggle not to hate you forever!

Efua, you ruined my home

My life you snatched from me.

My joy you turned to perpetual sadness.

You collected my husband from me and deprived him from enjoying the fruit of his labour.

My happiness you took away with your witchcraft. And now you think I will let you live in peace? Never! You shall reap what you sowed.

I shall make you pay for all these.
Like a green snake under the green grass, I shall attack you without mercy!!

And that, is a promise.

Author's note...

So our two lead characters are about to live together as a couple at last! Wow. How is it going to be? If you ask me, I would say that am kinda scared for Efua. What was she thinking anyway, by accepting to marry and work with her enemy?

Find out what happens next.

Thanks for reading!! Please don't forget to vote and share.😘😘