chapter 29

Love conquers all fears..

     Efua POV

Dr Richie invited madam, Ese, Temmy and I into her office to explain Efeosa's situation to us and how best we were to tackle it.

"Mr. Efeosa is suffering from Amnesia which is Inability to remember events for a period of time, often due to brain injury, illness or the effects of drugs or alcohol.

You see, when Lucas hit Efeosa on the head, it actually lead to Concussion, which is also known as mild traumatic brain injury. Which is typically defined as a head injury that temporarily affects brain functioning.

"As a result, Mr. Efeosa lost his ability to remember things."

"Are you by any chance trying to tell me Dr. That my son can no longer remember anything? Even his own name?" Madam asked

"Yes ma, but..."

"Yeeeeee" madam screamed. I am finished ooo. Ese moved over to her mother and hugged her tightly.

Temmy reached out for my hand and held it firmly and comfortingly.

"Please calm down ma. Like I said before, it's temporary. Just that his healing process will be determined by how religiously you follow the rules in trying to help him remember again.

"Hmmmm! Please Dr. tell us what we are to do." Ese inquired quietly.

"Well, the state  of his brain now can be best described as that of a child. As a result you may find him quite inquisitive. Asking one question after another wanting to know who he is, who you are to him etc. We are lucky that he has already find a friend in his wife which makes it more easier to direct him.

He needed someone he could trust and confide in and that I see in you, Mrs. Efua, so most of his healing process depends solely on you."

"Me? How?" I asked looking confused.

"Yes you because, right now you're the only one he can trust. You're the only one who can tell him to do something and he will really do it.

You see, due to the victim's struggle in trying to remember something and yet not able to, sometimes, he might become violent.

This is where you come in. In a case like this, you maybe the only one who could calm him down because he sees you as his friend. Mind you, he may not remember that you're his wife even after telling him two days ago.

In dealing with him, one needs to be patient and loving in order not to scare him. She took a pause before she  continued.

Symptoms you may have to watch out for in Mr. Efeosa includes headaches, trouble with thinking, memory or concentration, nausea, blurry vision, sleep disturbances or mood changes.

In trying to help him remember again. I would suggest that you all live together as one family in that same house where this incident that lead to his loss of memory happened. This would help him remember faster than living elsewhere. The familiar environment would aid his brain....

"I can't live there!" I said quietly. The memories of that place would kill me. I...l... Can't do this. I said with tears in my eyes.

"Oh no Mrs Efua, please don't cry it's only a suggestion. Am not compelling you to do so. I understand if you can't move in there. It okay. Believe me it's fine."

After we finished with Dr Richie,  we all went to see Efeosa in his ward.

As we entered, Efeosa who was playing with a paper on his bed looked up. Seeing everyone, he held my hand and asked like a child who has phobia for crowd.

"Hey, who are these people, he asked me pointing at his twin sister Ese, his mother and Temmy. I smiled weakly because I knew he has forgotten my name.

"Ahmmm, they're your family." I said with a small smile. While everyone looked on silently.

"My family?" He paused for awhile as though trying to recall before he said " that's not true. I don't have a family." Efeosa said stubbornly.

Madam just stood there crying silently. I didn't know how to convince him that these people were his family. I felt helpless.

Reality hit me immediately that I have a lot of work to do. I was helpless and yet everyone were hoping on me. I had to believe in myself. I had to tell myself I could do this, but how?

"And you? Were is your family?" He asked me shaking my hand. I didn't know what to tell him. If I tell him I had none he would be more confused and this could lead to many more questions from him. I looked at him. Smiling sheepishly. He frowned as though to say" answer me. Don't just stand there smiling. "

" they...they're my family too" I answered.

He started laughing. We all watched him in awe as to why he was laughing.

"Efeosa, why are you laughing?"

"You idiot, he said laughing again. Is not Efeosa who is laughing is me."

"Oh I see you have forgotten your name."

"My name? What's my name?"

"Efeosa, that's your name. You're Efeosa.

" oh, I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me before?

"Sorry, it must have escaped my mind I lied so as to avoid further questioning. Now listen, so that I will introduce everyone to you. And you have to believe everything I tell you about them now.

"Okay!" He said as he adjusted on his bed happily like a child waiting to hear his favorite story been read to him by his mother. He was in did a child again.

I began the introduction by pointing at each person one after the other.

I pointed at madam and said " she..she is our mother. So you can call her mum."

"Over there is our sister. Her name is Ese and standing beside her is our friend Temmy.

They are all our family and they love us very much and can never harm us. So we are to trust them always and...

" stop! Efeosa shouted holding his head."

"What is it? "

"My head, oh my head"

Call the doctor I ordered as I sat on the bed resting Efeosa's head on my laps. In no time, he was asleep like a new born baby.

Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to vote😘