chapter 32

If only I could turn back the hands of time

Efua POV

Efeosa spent a week in the hospital. During this period, I would sleep and wake in the hospital not remembering if I had eaten or not. Mum would beg me to eat something but it just couldn't pass my throat. I had endured all these while hoping that Efeosa would remembered again and then I would go and find my life else where. But now it was as if we were back to square one.

Though Dr Richie assured us that he was fine, yet I found it difficult to believe. He lay there helplessly as he was exactly a month ago.

Ouch! My head hurts so bad. I heard someone say. I looked at the direction I heard it from and saw that it was Efeosa. He had woken up at last! There was this pain in his eyes. Though he didn't look so confused as he looked when he woke up from this same hospital bed a month ago.

Please where am I? He asked weakly

You're in the hospital.

How did I get here and why am I here. He sounded more sensible than he had for this past one month.

You missed your step and feel down the stairs.

He tried sitting up so I lent him a helping hand.

Ouch! My head really hurts you know.

Take care, you'll be fine soon.

Thanks. Efua are you alright? I was startled by the question.

Yes. why?

What about Lucas?

The sound of that name weakened me to my bone marrow.

He..he...he is in prison.

That serves him right. He said as he leaned his back against the wall.

I was still startled. I just still couldn't believe what my heart was telling me.

Mrs Efua please can I have a word with you in my office?

It was Dr Richie. I didn't notice when she came into the ward. I was so engrossed in my thought.

Sure. I will join you in a Jiffy. I turned to see Efeosa smiling.

And why are you smiling?

It's nothing. Just that I liked the way Dr Richie called you Mrs. It sounded really good.

I opened my mouth to protest but he motioned me to go.

Go Efua. It's unlike you to keep people waiting.

Without another word, I smiled sheepishly and left the room with my heart clouded with thousands of questions.

†**********†*****
Efeosa POV

Efua please. I know I have no right to beg you to stay. But I am, because you have become a big part of me. You've become my home that I want to always return to. My love, my life, my joy. Above all you have become the only light in my darkened world.

I walked over to were she sat in our room. I am happy that she hadn't packed out as she said she would. She said this a day after I was discharged. The fall I had made me regain my memory. Everyone rejoiced until Efua announced that she would be leaving our house and lives following day. As soon as she announced this, the atmosphere changed. It was as if someone had just died.

In all truth, I know l have treated her badly but am truly very sorry. In fact I regret my actions towards her. Like they say, 'am sorry may heal the wound but never the scar. It's true that Efua had forgiven me and my family but the scar lives on in her heart. This, simply put, is that she has forgiven but has not forgotten all we did to her. She is a girl with a golden heart and I really do love her. She's simply priceless. Never had I seen a woman of substance as Efua. If only she would give me a chance to love her. I would treat her like the Queen she is for the rest of her life. The problem is that I lack the words to express how I truly feel about this golden hearted girl that has changed my life for the better.

I sat next to her and took her hands in mine.

Please Efua, give me the chance to be your real husband.

Don't you dare remind me of my miserable past Efeosa! She said as she shook off my hands from hers.

This contract marriage is over and so are we. I only stayed this extra week to fulfill the promise I made to your mother. That I would stay till you're back to health, and that I fulfilled.

Look Efeosa, we do not have a life together. We belong to two different worlds. There is this big bridge between us and we are on either side. Am sorry Efeosa. Am too worthless to be called your wife. You know am a nobody. A girl with no family, tagged a witch by her people. A gold digger by your family. Raped twice in her life even in front of her supposed husband...... How many can I list.

You're a good person Efeosa. I knew this from the very first day I set my eyes on you. You deserve someone better than a worthlessness rag like me.

Efua please stop.

But it's the truth. Though bitter it may sound. That's the usual taste of truth. My life has been a bitter story. Your family has completed her part of this my life's story. So I must move on. The rest of my life's story does not belong here. It doesn't even deserve to be counted among the living. She said with tears rolling down her cheeks.

Don't talk like this Efua.  You're scaring me with that last part of not been counted among the living. I made her stand and cupped her face with my palms.

Don't scare me with such words my light. I don't want to lose you. If you feel you don't belong here, fine. But please take me with you to wherever  you're planning of going to. I will not mind as long as am with you.

She smiled then started laughing. Afterwards, tears started rolling down her cheeks again. She gently pulled off my hands from her face and said "you won't understand".

Then make me please. She looked at me and leaning forward pressed a kiss on my right cheek and left the room without another word.

😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘😘thanks for reading.