Chapter 7: Remember the Suit Guy?

The floor above the hall was a lounge looking place with huge windows that filtered in the moonlight. Moonlight, if you're not trying to sleep, really is gorgeous. If I do happen to be attempting to sleep, I hate it and want to kill it.

I moved quietly through the room, not wanting to disturb the tranquillity of it all. Some part of me was a little mad that we hadn't crashed on one of the many couches, but I still kept moving. I didn't want to settle down. I needed to burn off some of this energy.

"Skylar, nice to see you again."

I pivoted, my hair rising on my spine. There was Suitman, basking in the natural light, looking smug. What did he have to be smug about?

He moved toward me, only going faster as I backed away.

"I did find it interesting how you chose to run," he continued, "I didn't expect that. And it is an interesting development that you don't seem to be limited by the human condition. That was most curious indeed. And it only took a day to get humanity out of your system. I reckon you must be proud of that."

That was messed up on so many levels. I didn't know where to start.

"Ok, creepy suit guy. First things first, who the heck are you?"

He looked at me like I was stupid. I was not stupid, just apparently very clueless.

"Some describe me as Death. Others as judge and jury. I believe in this situation, I would be the Devil."

He said that like it was obvious, which it most certainly was not. I mean, it made sense, but it wasn't something I would have just guessed right off the bat.

"Well then, Mr. Devil, what do you mean 'get humanity out of my system?' And how do I know you aren't just some weird guy with a weird suit?"

"I simply mean that, since your body was intended for heaven, it has adjusted to provide the most comfort possible. You can now do things that your more human state would not let you do. For instance, you've already seen your limitless endurance and ability to function without resting or sleeping. And you can trust that I am the devil because I could prove it to you. If you desire, I could give you a slight demonstration, but I wouldn't advise it. A demonstration wouldn't be pleasant."

"That was way too much info at one time. Let me just take a moment to process that. You're insane. Or I'm insane. I'll take either at this point."

"Would you like a demonstration?"

"Yeah. Sure."

That was not the correct thing to say. The man put both hands on my shoulder (ew) and the whole world seemed to spin. The air grew hotter and more humid to the point where I could barely breathe. I still felt fine, but I was disoriented. Everything was red, and that wasn't an error on my end. The world had literally turned red. It was rivers of lava, skeletons, and the whole rest of the crew. Mr. Devil let go and the couches materialized around us again.

"Do you believe me now?"

"I guess so."

I tried to play it cool, but my voice still trembled. I sounded exactly how I felt which was notably bad.

"Good. Do you want me to explain anything else to you?"

I did, but I couldn't articulate anything. Do brains melt? Mine certainly did.

"Nope."

I even popped my "p" like a sucker.

"Alright then. I will be observing you if you ever do need me."

That was creepy. Very creepy. Very, very creepy.

He disappeared. He just went poof and was gone. Strangely, I kind of missed the company in the creepiness of the building. I slowly went down the stairs again, crossed the dark, open space, and curled up with Lincoln again.

I snuggled back into his arms after my little nighttime adventure. I didn't feel like sleeping. I guess I couldn't anyway, but my brain was too full of new information to feel at rest.

I wasn't human. Lincoln was going to love that one. Unless I didn't tell him...

No. I would tell him. We needed to do this together.

Unless we didn't...

I would tell him if he asked. If he asked 'are you human,' I would tell him. I wouldn't lie to him, but I didn't necessarily need to volunteer this. It could still be the little mystery. The little mystery that the two humans would share. Oh, there was the question.

Did this mean maybe Lincoln wasn't human? Because that would be sweet.

Wait, what was I? What species did I now qualify as? Darn my melted brain puddle not asking more questions.

The morning didn't come fast enough. Lincoln didn't wake up fast enough. I mean, sure I could have sped that second one up, but then I would have a cranky boyfriend and it would turn into a whole thing, so I let him sleep.

This no sleeping thing wasn't actually going to be bad. I could be so much more productive and motivated. On second thought, between productivity, motivation, and sleep, sleep was better.

"Good morning."

I craned my neck to face him. "I'm not sure good is the right word to describe... that."

He laughed. I forced myself to laugh with him. Would he still laugh if I told him about the conversation last night? Probably. I wasn't willing to risk the chance that he might not. I needed him too much.

I wouldn't lie to him.

I wouldn't tell him the truth either.

I would tell him enough half-truths to equal several whole truths. That's the way it works, right?

 That's the way it works, right?