Chapter 24: A Road Trip with Gary Isn't as Bad as You'd Think

Gary stood in the center of the room, and I faced him blankly. I had the ability to cause pain, and for a moment he had been afraid of me. For a moment he had been at my mercy. I didn't fear him as much just then, but something in me was prepared to if he moved to hurt either of my two companions.

Lincoln sat on the bed, looking almost unaware of the way his hands weren't clasped in his lap entirely by choice. His mother stood in the back of the room, making everything look natural, just like her son. If he moved as though he might cause either of them pain, I would show him the same hell he showed me.

Woman, Gary addressed her, you don't have to come. The Angel and the Soul—your son—don't have a choice, but I have no use for you.

"I'm not leaving my son," she stated briskly.

Gary turned to me. He made to grab my arm, and he did, but the contact made me glow again. It had the same effect as before, but it didn't come with the same gratification. I started moving myself so I was between him and Lincoln. Gary stared at me. He just turned towards the other person in the room. I couldn't protect them both. Lincoln stood behind me.

"Don't touch her," Lincoln commanded.

Gary didn't say anything, he just turned back around, glancing at Lincoln. He was getting smarter, this time grabbing me by my sleeve. It didn't burn him, just like the cold hadn't made me feel anything if I touched his clothes. I walked easily out the door, letting him tug me along. Lincoln followed, jogging so he was walking next to me. His mother fell into step behind us.

We were alone in the halls. We all just followed him as he guided us out of the mansion. The freshness of the outside hit my lungs, and I took deep breaths of it. For the first time, I tested Gary's hold on me. I came to a complete stop. He forced me along, stronger than me. Figures.

I tried to keep the pace as slow as possible as he led us around outside. The air wasn't stale inside, but man, was it fresh outside. Another building came into view with rows of large doors, looking like the biggest garage I'd ever seen.

Garages were for cars. Cars were to get someplace faster. Gary was running away. And if Gary was really as mighty as I'd thought, he'd have no reason to run. He feared Mr. Devil's unhelpful threat.

Oh, that was too great. I mean, it was horrible for several reasons, but it was also great. My hands were bound, and I was being shoved into a building by a creature who was careful not to touch me. A creature who was afraid of me, but also sort of kidnapping me. I wasn't sure whether I was the one who was supposed to be afraid or the one who was feared. Maybe, I was both.

The cars were what you'd expect from a mansion. They were exotic. They looked faster than any normal person would want. They were all beautiful in their own ways, but I didn't have time to notice as Gary roughly opened a door to one of them and shoved me in. Lincoln and his mother followed in the backseat. It was a nice interior, I had to admit. I had gotten shotgun, which made it all the nicer. The backseat also looked nice, but they didn't seem to be enjoying it.

Gary was in almost instantaneously, slamming his foot on the gas. The door slid open just in time for us. The car was already mounting speed, and Gary timed it so we were able to pass cleanly through. Say what you want about Gary, but he was an excellent driver. He scared me out of my wits with how fast he went, and how close he cut the corners, but he was truly fantastic.

When we went through the gate, a few cars chased us out. I wasn't sure if I wanted them to catch us or not. It didn't matter much for me, so I buckled in for the ride. Gary drove for hours, never slowing his speed. There weren't really roads, and we went back through the first city. It was huge, and the moon had said hello before we were out of it. Lincoln's mother was the first to nod off. Lincoln fell asleep soon after.