Chapter 45: Trust is a Funny, Serious Thing

Lincoln ran his finger down one of my braids, looking at C.C. "How likely would it be that we could—could succeed. That we'd really be together?"

"It's all speculation. I don't know, but she's already done things I've never heard of an Angel, especially at her level, being able to do. It might work, but it might not."

"What do you mean, that I shouldn't be able to do?" I asked.

"No one can cross over between heaven and hell without direct contact with the boss man. You went with him the first time and then mimicked him and did it by yourself. Not only is it not plausible; it's impossible."

Lincoln's hands were stroking me, and I knew that it wasn't an option for me to lose him again.

"Is Lincoln going to have to go back to his cell? I can't be apart from him, C.C. I can't."

"Yeah. If everything goes how they expect it."

"What are you implying?"

"I feel bad that I was a part of what happened last time. I want to make up for that."

"You want to make up for it how exactly?"

"I wouldn't think to put you two together as a couple, but it works. It's like you complete each other, and you know that. Look at you now, so wrapped up in each other. See how he's ready to protect you from me, from this place. You should've seen him without you. Nothing anyone could do to break him worked. That's my job, you know. To break people, to punish them for crimes I get too bored to read. He couldn't be broken because he already was. He needs you, and you need him. I've never seen the boss man fail at something. He failed at erasing him from your memory. I think it's because he left you with the essentials to know yourself, and he couldn't take him away from that. You need him too." C.C. paused. "I want to help you two. I like you two. You deserve each other."

Lincoln pulled me into his chest. "Help how? You didn't answer the question."

"She can't get you out of here without both of you getting hurt. You'd either be separated, back where you started, or in water so hot you'd be burning alive. I, however, can. I want to help you. My whole life I've gone with things if someone said it's justice. I didn't stop to check things out. Even in death, I'm still that way. I want to change that. Let me help."

I could feel the way Lincoln took shallow breaths, and I could feel that he didn't trust C.C. I understood that, but C.C. was right. I was naive, but I could feel the genuine regret and self-disgust that drove the man towards his discussion. Lincoln couldn't see that, but we did need him.

"I don't know if you're telling the truth or just setting me up to lose her all over again," Lincoln said slowly, "but I don't like it. I don't care what happens to me, but if she gets hurt... I don't care if it's a—" he broke off into a bit of colorful language—"paper cut... I will destroy whatever it is that hurt her."

"Lincoln," I muttered.

"I don't like it. Sky, we don't even know his real name. Clam Chowder, what BS is that? I can't let anything hurt you."

"Just listen to me," I whispered, my fingers brushing against his face, "please. I don't know what happened. I can't imagine, but I want to be with you. Right now, he's our best option. You don't have to like it, but it's a lot better than trying to take this place on by force."

"I know, but if it's not true..."

"I know you don't trust him, but do you trust me?"

"More than anything."

"Please. Just hear him out at least."

"Ok. If that's what you want from me, I'll listen."

He looked at C.C., and I felt him immediately turn hostile as the man took a few steps forward. Lincoln forced himself to relax, sinking into me.