Chapter 39: All I Want, Mr. Devil

I told Savana we were going to have company. She was excited, digging through her clothes and putting a romper on, looking ridiculously cute as she put her blond hair into an effortless bun. She had the way of making it a messy bun too, so tufts of hair fell around her face, making her flawless skin even prettier. Then, she ran to my room, coming back with an outfit she assured me would look good.

I never thought of wearing a crop top, but hey, it worked. She paired it with a puffy white skirt that only went to my knees, but when she stood me in front of a mirror, I looked good. She started messing with my hair, sitting me down as she picked through my hair. Savana was good. She made me look in the mirror, and I complimented her on the way she'd braided my dull brown hair into a fishtail, draping it lazy across my shoulder.

Savana grinned and raced to the door when there was knocking that saved me from anymore fashion adjustments, and I heard her voice chirpily inviting someone in. She led them into the small kitchen, leaning easily against the counter. I looked at the man that came in, taking in his crisp suit, not remembering him. If I'd remembered him, I probably would've acted differently, yelling and kicking and screaming at the Devil, but as it was, I only extended my hand.

"Nice to meet you," I smiled.

He shook my hand too, and he pretended he'd never seen me before. "You must be Skylar. You're a fascinating young woman. Nice to meet you."

Savana shook his hand too, and I sat at the table.

"I know your thing about memories, but can I please have mine back?"

"You know how that works. I can't. I'm sorry."

"Please. At least tell me more about him. Or about us. I want to know."

He looked at me, and I don't know what he was thinking. He seemed to be calculating something, but I don't know. "Do you want to talk on the beach? We can leave the house to your friend."

My friend. I don't think he even remembered her name.

"Yeah."

I put on flip-flops at the door, more out of ceremony than necessity. The sand never stuck and was pleasantly warm, not hot.

"What specifically do you want to know? I could show you a picture."

"Yes," I smiled, "I would like to see that, and I want to know everything."

He pulled polaroid picture out of his pocket, handing it to me. It was perfect, exactly the way I'd remembered him. I was in the shot too, looking up as he looked over at me, his eyes only seeing me. I remember now that that was our first date, and he'd taken me on a drive, so we could see a meteor shower out his windshield. I'd never noticed him looking at me like that, but then again, I wasn't looking.

I grinned down at it, stopping as I did. I looked up at him. "Tell me. Tell me everything."

He just shook his head, seeming to have genuine sympathy. "I can't."

"He's still out there somewhere, right? Take me to him."

"No."

"Please. At least give me something to remember. Let me see him. Anything. I don't care. I just can't keep going like this, not knowing. Give me something. Anything."

"Skylar," he said finally, "how much do you remember? Just him? No one else?"

"Just him," I said slowly, "but is there something more for me to remember?"

"No. Of course not. But you don't remember me?"

"No. Should I?"

"You should not. You're doing great, Skylar."

"You're hiding something."

"No."

"Why won't you tell me about him?"

"I need to go. I have an appointment."

"Not until you answer me, you don't."

"I am an immortal entity. You are not able to dictate where I go. You'll stay here, and you'll stop prying. There are some things you can't know. Just accept that. This is heaven. You have everything to be happy. Let yourself."

He tried to walk down the beach, but I shoved the picture in my pocket and stood in front of him. It didn't occur to me that I would ever need to be afraid of him, but all I knew is if he walked away, so would my answers.

"I need to know."

He tried to sidestep me, but I also had feet and could block him. He looked annoyed with me and turned to go the other direction. I couldn't have that.

"Just tell me or let me see him. I won't ask for anything else. I'll do whatever you want."

He was walking down the beach, but I ran to keep up with him, and he looked over at me. "You want to see him? Fine. We'll go right now."

I smiled. "That's all I want."

He put his hand up, and we walked together into a warm glow.