Chapter 21: Lincoln's Mother

We kept walking until Gary rapped on a door. Then we stopped, listening as an irritated voice from inside answered.

"What do you want? Just leave me alone."

Kassidy answered in her same, chirpy voice. "Just open the door. We have some people we'd like you to come see."

"We. Who the heck is we?"

"We would be two Souls, a Faceless One, and an Angel."

"An Angel. You honestly expect me to believe you have an Angel there. Go bother someone else, why don't you?"

Kassidy turned to Gary. Gary pounded on the door again. I got the sinking feeling that the woman inside didn't really have an option. Just like we didn't really.

"Give me one good reason why I should open that door."

Lincoln looked like he was trying to figure something out. He looked like he recognized the voice. He looked like he even knew who it was but didn't think he was right. I leaned on him. Whatever it was, it was going to be designed to at least get in his head.

Kassidy looked mad. "You should open the door because I don't think you want us to do it for you."

"Oh, how threatening," the resident replied, and I heard springs creak. Whoever was inside had just camped out on the bed.

"Fine," Kassidy spat, "just open the door."

"How about," the voice sounded as though it was considering, "no. Absolutely not."

"Lady," Kassidy was almost shouting now, "come out. If you need a reason, it's your son here."

Lincoln went stiff. Of course, he'd recognized his mother's voice. Everything made sense. He'd told me she'd died when he was little. He hadn't said how or why. He had lived with his uncle ever since I'd known him. I could hear the woman stand.

"You people expect me to believe a word you say. You're more naive than I thought."

Kassidy was beyond exasperated. "If you really don't believe us, just let us in."

"Fat chance."

Lincoln looked dazed. "Mom," he whispered.

I turned to Gary. "What is wrong with you? Haven't you hurt us enough? Stop. For the love of everything, just stop."

He didn't respond. "What the frick is wrong with you," I yelled at him. I knew it was stupid, but I needed to get it out. I needed to feel like I was doing something.

"Sky," Lincoln called to me.

I ignored him. I was still focused on Gary. "This is all so messed up. And it's all your fault."

"Sky!"

I faced Lincoln again. His face took all the anger out of me.

"Yes," I whispered.

He didn't have time to respond. The woman inside did that for him.

"Is my son really out there?"

"Yeah," Kassidy answered, sounding ticked off.

"Let me just get dressed," she said, the resistance going out of her voice. I heard a shower turn on. A long time passed, and Lincoln and I reveled in it. Kassidy seemed like if this was traffic, she would be a tailgater with the way she fidgeted.

The door finally opened, revealing a woman dressed in formal clothes. She wore a sunhat draped carefully over the side of her head. Like she was hiding something. She stood there, taking us all in, then rushing out, and hugging Lincoln. He let go of my hand and wrapped his arms around her.