Chapter 57: Waking Up

Silence was the first thing that registered for me. I opened my eyes and saw a dull ceiling above me with fluorescent lights. It was quiet, and it felt weird not to have any noise. I turned my head to the left and saw a small nightstand that looked entirely too small to hold the array of things that it held. There were flowers, some of them defiantly fresher than the others, the petals all delicate as they overflowed, barely balancing on top of each other, the fragrance filling the air, so I wondered that I could breathe. It hurt to breathe, but not because of the flowers. They had those things in my nostrils for oxygen.

I looked at the flowers, my breath catching as they were stuffed animals underneath them. I reached my hand out to touch them, seeing thin plastic tubes attached to my arm for the first time. I looked to the left and there were I.V. bags hanging there, looking so depressing in their own corner. I stretched my fingers out, my fingers brushing a plush hedgehog, round, a tag around its neck.

Happy Birthday, Sky. Love, your boyfriend.

I pulled the tag off, setting it on my lap and cuddling the toy to my face. My birthday was May 13, so it must have passed. I pulled more stuffed animals towards me.

Happy Birthday, Skylar. Your friend, Caleb.

P.S. Lincoln was the one who said we should write you tags in case you wake up outside of visitor's hours. Please don't do that. It'll drive Lincoln crazy if he's not there to see you when you're first awake.

Caleb had gotten me a small elephant. There was a total of six stuffed animals. I think I counted a baker's dozen bouquets. There was one box, hidden under everything else.

I meant to open it, but a nurse came in. "Skylar, you're awake," she exclaimed and I instantly recognized Caleb's mother.

"I guess so," I smiled back, noticing a digital clock above her head. 7:35 am.

"Visiting hours will be starting soon. Lincoln's going to be happy to see you."

"Yeah? Did I sleep through my birthday?" I asked, looking down at the stuffed animals.

"Oh, dear. I'm sorry, but you did. Your eighteenth too. All the boys, even my son stuck a party hat on you and made a cake. They all got presents too." She gestured at the box in my hands.

"Lincoln said not to let anyone but you open that."

"Thank you, Mrs. Foster."

"Let me do a brief check up on you. That way you and Lincoln will have at least an hour alone."

"Thank you," I said, letting her fuss with things. I don't even know what things at this point.

She left, and I looked at the clock. 7:59

8:01, the door opened again, and Lincoln came bursting in, seeming to be out of breath."Lincoln," Caleb's voice came from outside, "you shouldn't go so fast. You can't even breathe walking."

"I need to get here quickly," he panted, looking at me.

"Hi," I whispered awkwardly.

He froze, and then moved carefully towards he bed, hugging me delicately. "Sky," he murmured, not seeming to believe it.

"Did you get me any flowers?" I chuckled.

He seemed confused for a moment and then he looked over at the nightstand and laughed. "I didn't want you to wake up to an empty hospital room."

I didn't know what to say. "You... you thought about that?"

"I did. I thought about it every freaking day."

"I love you," I murmured.

"I love you too."

"What day is it," I asked, almost scared of the answer.

"May sixteenth. It's a Sunday."

"I just missed my birthday by three days."

He ran his hands over mine, only looking away from me as Caleb left, gently closing the door behind him. "Open it," he said, wrapping my fingers around the box. It was a pretty box, the kind that holds expensive necklaces.

I pulled the top carefully off, looking at the plain necklace inside. It was a simple chain, the kind you'll see on any ten-dollar necklace, but it had a metal ring, shaped out of a nail on it. I pulled it out.

"I'm sorry," Lincoln said. "It's not much, but I just kept it because it was my mother's. She gave it to me the day before she died. I mean, I saw her again, so it's not as sentimental—"

"Help me put it on?" I interrupted.

He smiled, helping me sit up a little so he could clasp it around my neck. "You're beautiful," he told me.

"You honestly want me to have this?"

"Well, it'll be nice to keep it in the family."

My face split into a grin. I wrapped my arms around him, groaning as the I.V. tubes didn't do what I wanted. "I don't like these things," I groaned.

"You'll be out of them soon. Then, maybe you'll be back in school before the end of the week. Prom's Friday evening."

"Prom?"

"Yeah. Everybody's going, and if you're well enough by then... I know you've been excited for it. I can buy us tickets and you can pick out a dress last minute. If you want."

"Lincoln, I thought you didn't like school dances."

"Does it matter what I like? I like when you're happy."

"Lincoln..."

"Skylar Flemings, I want to take you to prom."

"Then, Lincoln Carver, I want you to take me."

"Great," he smiled, starting to arrange stuffed animals around me.