Chapter 29: Bye-Bye Gary

We'll stop here for the night to let the Souls rest.

Lincoln and I were still talking, but both Treasa and Lincoln had slowed their paces to the point where it was painful how slow me and Gary had to go so as not to leave them behind. Gary had found us a place that looked absolutely no different than any of the other places, but Lincoln and Treasa still took the chance to sit down, leaving me to slide down next to them, and Gary to watch us.

I took off my backpack and unzipped it. I handed Lincoln and Treasa each a can of food. Lincoln opened his and started drinking it like a beverage. I dug into the bag even further and pulled out water for him.

"Make sure you save it," I warned him.

"Yeah," he mumbled, his mouth still full of canned soup.

I didn't say anything as Lincoln and his mother finished their food.

"I'm going to sleep," Treasa announced.

I'd forgotten to pack any blankets. The pillows, which they'd left in the car, took up most of the space anyway. I felt bad looking at Treasa as she curled up alone on the hard rock ground, but there wasn't anything I could do.

"Good night," I told her.

"Good night guys."

Lincoln was still awake when she said this, sitting next to me.

Lincoln finally stretched out himself, and I laid next to him.

"Lincoln," I started, not sure how to phrase what I wanted to say.

"Yeah, he whispered, his voice husky with exhaustion.

"Your mother's... here."

He stiffened next to me. "Yeah."

"I thought it would've been more of a reunion."

He rolled over so his eyes were staring into mine.

"Sky, you know me. I'm not good with introductions or reconnections or any of that."

I wrapped my arms around his neck. "I know. I just... Don't you think you should catch up or something?"

"And say what?"

"I don't know."

"Sky, she's missed most of my life at this point. I know it wasn't exactly her choice, but she's still missed it."

"But... still."

"Please don't make me talk about this."

I didn't answer.

"Sky?"

"I don't know. It's just..."

"Just what?" he prompted tiredly.

"Didn't she used to bake you cookies and rock you to sleep?" My head was bursting with questions about his childhood just then. I'd never thought about it before.

"When I was little, I guess."

"Didn't you miss her at all?"

He turned away from me, looking straight up. "I've moved on. So has she."

He refused to say anything else about the subject, eventually drifting off into his own sleep.

Gary stood, watching over everything all night. I watched him restlessly until he eventually decided to wake everyone and start moving again.

I handed out snack bars, regretting it as the sound of crinkling and footsteps became the only noise. I felt fine, but it was obvious that Gary was the only one who shared that. Lincoln moved slowly and stiffly, and I got the feeling from the way she moved, that Treasa's feet hurt.