Chapter 56: Vita's Decisions

"Lincoln, for now, don't you dare let go of her. Keep her as tight as you physically can."

He didn't look like that's what he expected her to say. "I will."

"No matter what. You hear me?"

"Yes," he said, lacing his fingers through mine.

"Vita, why are you still in my house?"

"I want my family."

"And has it occurred to you that, so do I? How you have a kid and grandkids? How you're alive? I'm never going to be able to have that, ever since you decided I should have a go at managing humans after death. So is it wrong to want to spend time with my own blood, even if they're more yours than mine?"

"You could visit if you want. But don't kill them."

"Says the one who invented death."

"Says the one who is Death."

"Get out of my house, Vita."

"I will walk out with Skylar and Lincoln."

"No. You will move with purpose with neither of them. Leave, Vita."

"Why, if you like them so much, would you kill them, Mors?"

"I didn't. Some idiot freshman named Derrick did."

"And why didn't you stop it?"

"That's not my job."

"You could give your own family a pass every once in a while."

"I believe I have been praised by humans before for my fairness in it all."

"So, have I."

"They also say 'life is a bitch.'"

"They're afraid of death."

"Not the good ones."

"You haven't changed at all. Sentimental one moment, a monster the next, then back to normal. It's a cycle, and I always think you'll be out of it, but you never are."

"You let humans define both of us, Vita, and I don't blame you, but you can't blame me for what I had to become to fit your fantasy."

"I wanted to share something with you, like Mother and Father. They have the Ocean and the Land, and they work together so well, and I thought that would be nice for us. But it's not."

"Death was never meant to be a nice concept. It's not bad for the human who does it, but it leaves a hole in life and dumps them into death. So, I'm sorry that I'm making so many holes in your masterpiece."

"I don't care about that. Just my family."

"And what makes it your family? You're getting more and more human by the second."

"You say that like it's a bad thing." She observed slowly.

"It is. A horrible, pitiful thing."

"Skylark, let's go."

My uncle stood between me and Gran, not threatening, just that I couldn't leave. I leaned into Lincoln, suddenly wishing I was alive with him so that it would only be an awkward conversation and not a serious one like this.

"Skylar, you can have that little beach house that you want here. Just with him. Whatever you want. Just don't leave."

"Skylark, he can't keep you here. You belong in my world, not his."

"That is true," my Uncle admitted, "but he doesn't fall under the same argument."

I put my arm protectively around Lincoln. "I'm not leaving him."

"I'm not leaving her," Lincoln echoed.

My uncle stepped aside, and Gran moved nimbly towards me. She grabbed my elbow and pulled me towards the door, Lincoln's arm was still around me, and mine around him, so we were anchored to the spot. My Uncle moved towards Lincoln, and we both gulped as he stood behind us. Lincoln pulled me tight so it almost hurt. I put my hands gently over his and he loosened his hold again.

"Sky, I love you." He whispered in my ear, for me and only me to hear.

I looked up and didn't say anything, but I saw in his eyes that he knew that the feeling was mutual. He held me close, his heart beating emphatically. I let go of his waist, squaring myself to him and throwing my arms around him.

"Skylar, do you want to go back and live?"

"Yes. Yes, I do."

I felt my Gran's hand get warm, and I closed my eyes, leaning into Lincoln. Then, in a burst of warmth, I didn't feel anything more.