Chapter 34: It's Official, I'm the Prime Candidate for a Henchman

The drama tired everyone out, so C.C. just took me and Lincoln back in the elevator, back into the glass. Lincoln and I collapsed into each other and onto the floor. He threw his arms around me, and as much as I wanted to talk to him forever about all of it, everything, I snuggled into him and watched as his eyes drifted shut. His breathing was rhythmic, and I felt too unprotected when I even considered moving away or pacing like I had the night before.

I had made a mistake. I had messed up, and I was scared. The cell could be opened by anyone outside. It opened in too. It was so perfect I wanted to scream and beat my fists against the glass, but I knew if I let my emotions take over like that, other things would soon follow, and Lincoln would think I was insane.

The smell of wine wound its way through the air, followed by the sound of footsteps and sloshing liquid. The steps weren't even, drunken and loud. I looked up and saw the Roman staggering down towards me. I could pretend I was asleep. It was a bold move, I know, but hold your applause.

Paul tapped on the glass, and I held my breath as Lincoln didn't open his eyes.

"Goddess, touch again."

Lincoln's eyes opened slowly, and I was thankful that he didn't speak or move. I only felt his hand tighter around my waist and his eyes staring into mine.

The Roman banged on the glass, and it took everything in me not to squirm and clamp my hands to the side of my face. He took another deep swig of his beverage and slammed his hand against the glass.

"Wake, Goddess."

I didn't move, both Lincoln and I were petrified against each other. Lincoln kept his breathing level, barely different than when he'd been asleep, and I was suddenly aware of how short my own was. If the Roman hadn't been so drunk, he'd have known we were awake.

"You touch me, and I feel warm. I want that feeling. Senses sharp. World full. Make feeling, Goddess. I beg. I give anything."

He didn't slur like I expected. The Roman's fist was against the glass again, and this time I buried my head into Lincoln. He cradled me, soothing me with whispers.

"Sky, he's not going to touch you. I promise I'll protect you. It's going to be alright."

I nodded, and the banging persisted, the Roman sounding desperate as he shrieked at us, first mixing a few Latin words in, then more and more until he wasn't speaking English at all. If I had been less scared, I might have cried. If I had been less emotionally haywire, I might have screamed or cowered in a corner, but as it was, I didn't do anything. I just let Lincoln's hand rub my back as I clung to him.

The banging stopped, and all I could hear was my breath. The Roman started moving, his footsteps heavy. I looked up and saw his hand on the door handle. He pushed it easily open, and Lincoln jumped into action. He stood up, and I pushed myself, so I was sitting next to him. I stood, a rush of adrenaline flowing through my veins as I looked at the man. The door was starting to swing shut, but the Roman wedged his foot in before that could happen. He drained his canteen of wine, and threw the flask into the door, keeping it open as he staggered further into the cell.

Lincoln gently pushed me back. I put my back to the wall, the Roman's malicious and drunken manner making my limbs stiffen as I pressed myself into the glass.

"Say you not Goddess."

He walked forwards drawing his sword, holding it limply as he walked towards Lincoln.

"Goddess brave. You not. Who you?"

He waved the sword dramatically in the air, eventually letting it settle just under Lincoln's chin.