Chapter 54: Gran's Job of Embarrassment

C.C. wasn't anywhere in sight. I guess that was understandable. I still wondered if I'd say anything different in him. Like, if I'd look, and there would be my own eyes staring back at me. Or I would be able to see something that was like my dad. I guess he kind of did look like my dad, but he was nicer. That was the kicker. My dad was strict, which I guess isn't the opposite of mean or anything, but it seems totally different from Gran or C.C.

Lincoln picked at his food, then shoved it in his mouth, barely contributing to the conversation.

"Is this your house?" I asked.

"Yes," Death said awkwardly.

"What do I call you? Death? Devil? Uncle?"

"Whatever you want, Skylar."

"So, Uncle D, what do you personally think we should do about the life or death thing?"

"It's up to you, but I wouldn't mind getting to know you."

"The being alive thing. Would we remember this?"

"Only if you would want to."

"Lincoln wants to go back to live our lives."

"No offense, but I really don't care what he wants," my Uncle said without a hint of sympathy.

"The feeling's mutual," Lincoln grunted.

"What do you want?" Uncle D asked me.

"To stay here. To go with him to that house I was in—you know the one on the beach with all the books." I replied, looking down at my empty plate rather than at either of them.

"Let's do that," Lincoln said hurriedly, seeming to think that if he got the words out fast enough, I'd take them and ignore how I was depriving him what he wanted.

"Then that's settled," Uncle D grinned.

"No. Nope. I don't want to now. I kind of like the idea of kids. And a life. We'll do that."

Uncle D looked down at me. "But you said you wanted—"

"And I do, but I also want to be with him, without him giving up another damn thing."

"Skylar," Uncle D tried to coax.

"Sky," Lincoln interrupted, seeming to grasp how mad I was to use a swear, even one as minor as that, "I wouldn't be giving anything up. I swear I wouldn't. It sounds like an amazing idea. Nothing in the world sounds better than an eternity with you and only you. We could take walks on the beach. You're right that I would see everyone again. And I wouldn't want you to get taken away from family."

"I have time for that later," I whispered.

"I personally think the beach idea is great," Uncle D tried to convince me, "even he agrees."

"If I said I wanted to be reincarnated as a platypus he would agree," I muttered. "Which I don't. But it would be awesome."

"But you did enjoy the beach. Imagine how great it would be with him with you."

"I want kids. I do want a life. Maybe get married or something. I don't know."

"You could get married here." He coaxed.

"I—I don't actually really care all that much. Just so I'm with Lincoln."

"You don't care?"

"Sky, I swear the only thing that's mine enough to give up is you, and I'm never doing that. I'll do whatever you want. If you want to be a platypus couple, I'd ask to do it in captivity. I don't want to live in Australia. Unless you wanted to, then I'm there." Lincoln muttered.